Perfect

On my 10th birthday I didn't go to school. Instead, I followed my etiquette teacher into a huge auditorium with a stage. Me and about sixteen other kids, including my best friend Jamie, were told to line up behind the curtain, we did. A lady with straight black hair and purple heels far too loud for the hollow stage, walked along the line of kids stopping, she turned to face me her mouth slightly open.

"Who might this be?" she questioned.

I flinched her breathe smelt strongly of mint and it burned my eyes.

"My name is Faye Caddel and my parents are perfect" My teacher had explained that if we were asked who we were we needed to answer with our full name and our parents' status.

"Tell me Faye, do you need glasses or braces?"

"I do not" My legs shook, would they take me away from my parents?

"Do you have a birth mark or 'beauty mark'?" She said this while making air quotations with her hands implying it was in fact not beautiful.

"No Ma'am" She looked almost annoyed at my answer

"Very well then Faye as from this moment forward you are Perfect if you are caught socializing with a Flaw you will become one and disgrace your family and yourself"

I nodded and she pointed towards my parents who, in my nervousness, I hadn't noticed sitting in the audience we sat for a few minutes they seemed happy so I was too.  We watched other kids get belittled by her then it was Jamie's turn, my parents gave each other a look and my father whispered something to my mother she nodded and took my hand leading me out that  was the last time I ever saw Jamie.