Chapter One

You had lived in Korea until you were seven, the busy streets and loud cars were traded for the quiet countryside of Australia. It never occurred to you why you moved, just that your dad wasn't coming with you.

It never bothered you much, he wasn't home anyways. And it looked like your mum was so much happier.

The wrinkles that once covered her cheeks softened, and the dark circles that had clung to the bottom of her eyes seemingly disappeared. The frown she almost always wore was replaced with a kind smile.

It was a good few years but soon you learnt you had no place in her life. It wasn't that she didn't love you, no quiet the opposite.

It was rainy day, never one for a good mood, the small hole in the roof allowed a few drops a minute to pass through. The red bucket sat idly underneath collecting the water. Pitter patter it went, pitter patter.

The soft noise of its droplets hitting the bottom of the bucket swayed you to sleep.

"Y/n," your mother called out. Though it was a rainy day it was still humid outside. Sweat clung to your mothers head, wisps of black hair escaping the tightly knit ponytail.

"Hm," you responded, not bothered to lift your head up in your sleepy daze.

Your mother carefully sat next you, eyes locked onto the tv. She was a beautiful woman. Her dark skin glared underneath the lights, curly hair a mess a top of her head. Her eyelashes were long and full lips a beautiful red.

Though it unsettled you that she was looking away from you. Your mother prided herself on eye contact during speech.

"There's something I've been meaning to tell you," she sighed out, a quick pause in between her sentences. "Me and Ricky are doing really well."

"That's great mum, I'm really happy for you," you smiled back. It was true, Ricky was a great guy and your mother loved him.

"Yeah it isn't," your mother said, her eyes glowing with regret. "I don't think I've ever been this happy, except maybe when I had you. That's why this is going to hurt so much more," she choked out, holding back sobs.

"What's going to hurt?"

"Y/n, I'm so sorry," she cried. "I don't have money, Ricky doesn't have money, but together, the two of us have enough to stay afloat. So I'm moving in with him," she finished, a few tears sliding down her cheeks.

"So what does that have to with me," but you knew where this was going. "I can live with you guys right?", the room was silent, "right? Mum?".

"You're going back to Korea baby. Your dad agreed to look after you. And I promise once I get the money you're coming straight back to me," she cried out, a hopeful voice among all the dread that coursed your body.

"I can get a job, I'll look after myself," your mum shook her head, it seemed she had already made up her mind. "Mum, please," you whispered.

"I'm sorry," she said, her lips forming an all to familiar frown. "But what kind of mother would I be if I kept you. Made you live with us in that dingy flat when you father can give you so much more. I'm sorry baby," she huffed, wiping the tears that fell from her face.

"Buy you could've at least asked me, I should've had a choice," you cried out, a last resort.

You mum shook her head, smiling down at the beautiful daughter, "I know what you would've chose. Now pack you leave in two days."

Two days flew by past as you hugged old friends, your goodbyes unsettling.

The weather didn't let up. It wasn't normal for three straight rainy days in the middle of February but it did match the mood.

A few tears were shed in the airport and a sad goodbye followed as you promised to call your mum as soon as you landed.

The sadness had gone and you were left with an empty feeling. You hadn't gone more than a day without seeing your mum and now you were going to go at least a year without her hugs.

You were really going to miss her; miss the way she braided your hair, or the way she would smile at you when you made a stupid mistake, even the way she would lick her finger to fix something on your face.

You didn't know if you could last without her and it took everything in you to not turn back and run straight into her arms, even if it made you look like a big baby.

Soon you boarded the airplane and with a transit in China, you were on your way to South Korea; your original home.

At least you had a few weeks before school started.

The heating of the airport got to you, as you took off your small cardigan. It was gift from your mother; a parting gift.

A man with a blue tuxedo stood at the exit of the airport, he was among other men like him except his sign said your last name. He's body was small and he looked timid under the stares of the people surrounding him.

"Hey," you called out, throwing a lollipop into your mouth. "That's me."

The man glanced at you awkwardly before offering to take your luggage, you shrugged as you followed him into a luxury car. Nothing like you had home.

"And I suppose my father was too busy to pick me up himself," you laughed, humourlessly.

No wonder your mum left him.

"I'm afraid so but he did say he was going to meet you at home," the man said, scratching the back of his head awkwardly as he drove with one hand.

You stared out your window, eyes daring to the familiar surroundings. "Great, it's raining here too," you muttered.

You picked up your phone to call your mum but hesitated. Instead you opened up the message app, sending a quick text that you arrived safely and that your too tired to call.

You knew you were to dependent on you mum and now was the time to change that.

"We're here," the man called out, pulling into a gated driveway. He punched in the numbers and drove along the grave pathway, stopping in front of a large house.

It's marble floors glowed underneath the daylight, large windows decorated with gold panes. Your eyes widen at the house, it was beautiful.

It was rich. You were rich.

The doors to the home opened up, revealing a tall smiling man, one all too familiar.

"Hey, baby," he laughed out.

You sighed in response. This was going to be an eventful year.

***
Sorry that there's no Vinny yet but gotta give all the context first lol. Also thanks for reading and I hope that i actually finish writing this unlike all my unfinished drafts.