A Day Without Plans

A muffled groan from the bed makes Helena look over her shoulder. In the lighting that comes from her laptop screen, she sees Marco bury his face in the pillow. "Sorry, Marco. Five more minutes, I'm almost done," she tells him, typing a little faster.

After sending all the e-mails she needs to send, she closes the laptop lid and walks to the bed, slipping under the covers. As soon as her head touches the pillow, Marco shifts closer and wraps an arm around her belly. She smiles as she feels him nuzzle her shoulder with his nose. "Let's sleep," she says softly.

"In a bit," Marco replies, his fingers are drawing unknown patterns on her belly.

Helena holds his hand, stopping him before it tickles too much. "You yawned twice," she reminds him.

He lets out a small chuckle. "It was then," he says, giving her shoulder a kiss. "I've been thinking."

"About what?"

She can feel him shrug. "I know your work is demanding. But lately you've been incredibly busy," he says. "You don't even have time for yourself, let alone for me." Guilt creeps through Helena. He's right; her work occupies most of her time at the moment. She has been working in this advertising company for four years, and a few months ago she was promoted to promotions manager. It's a great thing, yes, but it also means that her workload is getting heavier, and she's still trying to get used to her new position.

Before she has the chance to reply, Marco says again, "And you've become more uptight-even more so than usual."

"I'm not."

"Yes, you are."

Helena sighs. "Okay, perhaps a little. But I've just been busy, that's it."

"A little?" Marco snorts. "Babe, you practically can't live without your notebook. Remember when we were in Berlin and you forgot to take your notebook with you? You were so fidgety it drove me mad."

"It's not true," she insists. Her notebook is important, because it has all her plans and the things she needs to do. But she's not dependent on it. Well... not fully.

"It is, and you know it," he says, sounding rather amused.

"Fine, if you think so," she relents, turning to face him. "I'm sorry for neglecting you these past months, Marco. But, I'm still kind of overwhelmed with this promotion. I'm sure things will soon back to normal again, once I get the hang of it."

Without she realises, Marco has begun to draw patterns on her skin again, under her pyjama top. "I understand," he says. "Because of my job, I'm not always around, either." She smiles. Yes, he's a good boyfriend, always has been. And then he says again, "You need to make it up to me, though."

She laughs. "How?"

"Tomorrow I want you to spend all day with me, doing whatever I want us to do," he says, before adding, "And no notebooks allowed. No plans either."

Well, tomorrow is Sunday, so she guesses it's okay. But still... Marco then says again, probably sensing her reluctance, "Come on, Helena, it'll be fun." He kisses her temple.

"What exactly do you want us to do?"

He shrugs again. "Just some normal, fun things. Going to the zoo, perhaps, or the lake."

"The zoo?" she repeats in disbelief. "How old are you?"

Marco chuckles. "It's just an example. It doesn't necessarily have to be the zoo. Let's see what I feel like doing tomorrow. Come on, when was the last time you did something spontaneous? We don't have to plan everything. Sometimes being spontaneous is good."