Chapter 1: Dead Hope

Summary:

"He thought he would be safe, but the reality was different.

Hands and legs tied to the bedpost and a cloth in his mouth. Dream couldn't believe this was happening to him. He wanted this whole thing to be a bad joke. He didn't want to believe Techno's words."

_________

Dream took a deep breath as he emerged from the water, behind him came Ranboo, Techno, and Connor. The cuts and bruises burned in the salt water of the ocean, but the blonde didn't even think about it, he could only look at the sky.

The escape had happened, he was free! After more than a year he was free, seeing the sky and smelling other than lava and blood. Dream could cry with happiness at that moment. But an arrow hitting his armored shoulder and Techno dragging him to the beach snapped him out of his stupor.

He was confused and in pain, there were too many people and too much shouting, so much that he couldn't think. He could see the faces of old friends, each with a different expression. He felt his eyes start to get heavy.

He would have fallen to the ground if it weren't for Techno picking him up in his arms and putting him on top of a horse, then climbing up and starting to ride away. The blonde's head and back leaned against the piglin's chest. He wanted so much to rest that he just closed his eyes and let himself feel the wind.

At some point along the way he stopped hearing the screams and guns, just hearing the horse's hooves hitting the ground and Techno breathing. He just relaxed his body into the other's.

He didn't know how long it had taken, but now they had finally arrived in the North, at Techno's house. They got off the horse, the blonde needing the other hybrid's help. Both were now facing each other.

"How are you?" The piglin asked in his characteristic emotionless voice. Dream smiled, after a long time.

"I'm tired but fine, thanks Techno, I don't know what would have happened to me if you hadn't helped me escape." And that was true, Dream had long ago given up hope of escaping that hell, at least without help.

"You would probably be killed by Quackity."

"Always sincere, eh, Bacon?" Dream burst out laughing. It felt good to finally breathe and laugh.

"And now? What will you do?" Techno asked as he started to take off the horse's armor and move him into the stable, Dream followed suit.

"I'm going to meet someone." His heart was already pumping with joy, he would finally see him again. "And then go as far away as possible and live in peace."

Techno paused for a moment looking at the stable door and answered only seconds later.

"So, the great Admin leaves? I think this is a copy of my story." A punch landed on the smallest arm. Techno's ears twitched at the teapot laugh Dream let out. Techno also laughed along but went back to being quiet seconds later. "Are you coming back someday?"

"No, I intend never to return to that place again. I think my reign of terror ended by choice." Dream laughed, but Techno didn't.

Dream was a little strange at his friend's attitude, who was staring at him, as if he wanted to say something more. But he decided to ignore it, it was time to go, before they came after him.

"Well, I have to go, I don't want to cause you any more trouble, old friend." And then he did something he'd never done before, standing on the tips of his hooves and pulling Techno into a hug. And in a whisper, he said. "I thank you very much friend, goodbye".

Techno reacted just seconds later, hugging the blonde back tightly. Dream took advantage, he couldn't remember the last time he'd hugged someone. Seconds passed when they finally broke apart.

And without a word, Dream started to walk away. It was time to find George and kiss him until the end of his life. He just wanted to find the man he trusted the most and go the farthest with him, just like they promised a year ago.

However, he was stopped when he felt his arm being grabbed with some force. He turned and saw Techno staring at him again.

"You're not ready to go yet you idiot, stay here tonight and rest, tomorrow you leave wherever you want." Dream thought his friend's attitude was adorable, he felt wanted. But he just wanted to meet with George at the moment.

"I'm grateful, Tech, but I really just want to see him right now." Calmly releasing his arm, he was about to go, but the piglin interrupted him again, this time standing in front of him.

"I'm serious Dream, you look horrible". He had a serious expression, but Dream was stubborn and wouldn't back down and Techno knew it. Sighing he said. "At least let me give you some resources and potions, just so you don't risk passing out in the snow and dying." The blonde knew the piglin was right. With his tail twitching a little in indecision he nodded.

They both walked into the taller's house, having a conversation about what potion options would be good for Dream. They agreed that two healing potions would be ideal and also some golden apples and food.

When they entered, Techno asked Dream to remove the armor so he could see where he had bruises and cuts. Dream was uncomfortable to see himself again in the orange prison outfit, the one with burnt parts and bloodstains. His chest tightened as he remembered that blood was his.

As Techno moved back and forth making the potions, the goat hybrid looked out the window, admiring the icy landscape. He felt so happy at that moment. And even though he wasn't the biggest fan of snow, he felt a strong urge to lie down in that fluffy snow and make an angel. He remembered that a few years ago he did this with Sapnap and George.

Happy memories that despite everything he kept with affection.

"Hey homeless, take it." His nose wrinkled at the nickname, he took the potions and a golden apple from the piglin's hands. He took it and soon felt better. The superficial wounds healed completely and the deep cuts stopped hurting. He felt almost renewed.

As soon as the potions were taken, he soon brought the apple to his lips. But he never got to bite.

His vision began to blur and blur. The apple fell out of his hand and his hooves bumped into each other. He would have fallen if not for Techno holding him in place. He tried to close and open his eyes to focus his vision, but it didn't work at all.

His body felt heavy, as if he had a rock on his back. He tried to speak Techno's name but only a weak, broken voice came out.

"T-Tech". And everything went off.