Chapter One- Raindrops

"I trusted them. I...I believed every word. Like...LIKE A F**KING MORON..."

The man yelled at noone in particular, his curses reverberating off the walls of the storeroom. Fifteen or so years of research, dedication, loyalty...and all so they could continue torturing innocent monsters. No wait, They were the real monsters. Twisted manipulative monsters, every last one of them. He saw the signs. He saw the signs and ignored them. He ignored them and carried on these experiments based upon mere opinion instead of pure fact. Experiments with creatures...beings with families currently in despair due to their sudden abduction. He, himself, was one of those who were inhumane enough to go through with this. Fighting back another outburst of upset rage, he continued skimming through the countless files of past and present victims. Almost every one, a tale of a member of a species being taken hostage for the foundation's own selfish needs. That was when he laid his eyes upon one specific file. Itsuki held the fastened pieces of paper in front of his face and read carefully. Words upon those pages shining with the reality they had kept locked away for years. A reality, Itsuki never knew he lived in until now. One simple fact said in a thousand words, holding a secret he could not handle his emotions over.

"So...you finally understand, hm?..."

The near silence of the storeroom broke with the sound of boots tapping against the tiled floor. The smell of cigarette smoke being diffused into the air as an ominous figure making his way towards the pile of broken man and lab coat crouched on the floor. He purposely placed his foot upon the white fabric while blowing the cancerous mist from his mouth, the trenchcoat swaying to the sides with every movement. Dr Itsuki pretended to ignore this person, just wanting some time alone to take things in. This didn't affect the person next to the professor much. He'd look down at the papers Itsuki was huddled over and sighed, taking the cigarette out to speak.

"Most of these subjects are now dead. I hope you realise what you're doing now."

The scientist nodded and bent his head further into his chest, tears staining the sheets of ink-printed research and experiment analysis held in his hands. If only he could turn back the hands of time. He could've done so much if he knew this information from the beginning. He could've changed the fate that had bestowed upon these people...children no less. Kids...that could be killed any day now. All because of this foundation. Itsuki wasn't pinning the blame...it was the truth. These sickening fantasies were the real culprits. Fantasies that pushed the researchers to capture and torture innocent supernatural beings just to prove a point to the world. Fantasies created by the foundation itself...therefore...they needed to pay.

"Fine...you win...I...I'll join you..."

Itsuki stammered out through a throat closed off partially by his silent sobs before bringing one foot towards him to stand. He paused however, questioning whether he should just stay in this position and ask to grieve for a little while longer or get up and allow himself to be included within this stranger's plans straight away. The figure pulled his western-style hat down so it covered his deep hazel pupils before holding his hand out towards his new associate, not giving him any other choice but to get up. Itsuki grabbed this and pulled himself to his feet, swaying a little with the sickening, dizzy feeling normally felt after standing up too fast. A smirk appeared underneath the stranger's hat as he turned away, about to leave before a hand appeared on his shoulder.

"But...before I do...just tell me one thing...this...does that make me..."

Itsuki held out a small file of about four or five sheets of paper while choking on his words. Some of the sheets were a little damp from when tears had landed and soaked through the thin pieces but the writing was still legible. Good thing it was too, as this simple file was what changed Itsuki's mind about leaving what he swore to protect and joining what he promised to go against. A file that revealed to him something the foundation would've made him die for if they knew where he was at the time. The mysterious leader of the resistance chuckled as he made his way to the door at the far end of the room.

"Biologically speaking...yes it does..."

The sounds of boots stepping upon tiled flooring stopped before he reached the door, calling out a small speech towards the dumbfounded scientist whom was staring at him in shock.

"There is a saying that goes around my family. "Life is like a play. It is told in parts." When one ends, the next is just beginning. The troubles end here, Itsuki. A new, greater part of your life is just about to start."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another day ended. Another night laying awake on the stone-hard mattress. Another plate of food left to go stale with the other plates by the large steel door in the corner. He could reach the decaying meals if he simply stood up and went over, if standing up wasn't difficult during that moment. The recent slots of experimentation had left his muscles constantly twitching and locking into place. Every attempt made at movement would be counteracted with a sharp, tense feeling within his body. It wasn't the first time he felt this way yet he hated every moment. Eventually, he would give up and allow himself to curl up on the mattress situated in the other far corner of the blank-tiled room. No point trying to fight a battle he's been losing since the very start of his life.

He hadn't known how long he laid awake for that night. Possibly the whole night minus those times when the pain jerked him out of a five minute nap. The light patter of the morning rain could be heard from the small window situated on the ceiling. Maybe one day, he'll have the energy and the courage to go out and feel these. The sky was perhaps the only evidence he had of a world beyond the few rooms he's been to. Sometimes, it was a dark colour with clouds covering everything he could see. Other times, it was a glorious blue colour with the sun shining its rays through the window, creating a warm spotlight right in the middle. Right now, the sky was a complete grey sheet with the rain creating small splashes of water which rolled down the slanted glass soon after. Wherever they went after that remained a mystery to the kid. Perhaps they collected in a small tray somewhere or slid into their own rooms.

The sounds of these small raindrops hitting the glass calmed him. He liked the pattering noises they made upon contact with the window. It was like they were trying to send him a secret message. An invitation to the outside world if he could somehow open the door and run before anyone could stop him. Sometimes, if he were lucky during a storm, a small drop or two would find its way inside and land upon his skin. He would try and keep it there for as long as possible before it fell to the floor or soaked into his body. It felt cold and wet yet it was satisfying at the same time. Like a mini shower but without the scratchy cloth tearing your skin's top layers.

He listened to the soft drummings of the rain upon the window as he lay awake on the mattress, waiting. Any minute now, someone would enter that door to give him the daily morning checkup before commencing whatever experiments this building had planned for today. He memorised the schedule clearly. The child closed his eyes slowly in a final attempt for some sleep as his body calmed down on the twitching for now. He was still unable to move yet the curled up position kept the pain down to as low a minimum as possible. Comfort was something he only ever felt once in a full blue moon.