assigned

It was raining staggeringly, so dark, it almost seemed that the pouring rain had dimmed the street lamps. The atmosphere was lonely, not a soul in sight, even if there was, it wouldn't make this place feel anymore lively.

This town always made Baekhyun feel like he was the only person in the world, no matter how crowded places became in this small little nightmare of a town, it always felt fake, no real company ever acquired, no conversation that held meaning.

The heavy night rain poured onto
Baekhyun, who stood there without an umbrella. He was thoroughly soaked from head to toe. It'd be enough to bother anybody, but him? No, he just stood there. Middle of the road, middle of the night, he didn't care, he'd rather feel cold than feel nothing.

The rain made him feel a somber comfort, reminded him of an old friend, you could say. In that sense, it made him want to be in the presence of this night rain, because he thought that maybe, standing there could bring him closer to who he lost. Maybe somewhere out there, he could see him, see that he still cares, that he still misses him...

He felt a slight tap on his shoulder, "Are you okay?" A small voice hit his ears, barely audible over the sound of the rain trudging on top of rooftops and streets. Baekhyun let out a small gasp "Shit! You scared the fuck out of me!" He yelled out, startled. "Sorry..." The stranger said quietly, retreating to a shy nature. "You came out of nowhere, I didn't even see you." He exclaimed. "I was just walking by and- and I saw you, and you were just standing there, and you looked cold so I thought- I thought that I could give you my umbrella and-" he began to trail off nervously.

He had a pretty face, it was surprising actually, his beauty was almost astonishing. His big lively eyes, pouty, somewhat smaller lips, sharp jawline. Easy on the eyes to say the least.

His soft white shirt and light colored hair felt in harsh contrast to Baekhyun, who's dark brown hair clinged to his forehead, in an oversized leather jacket that reflected his rather pensive attitude.

"There's no need to explain yourself, I'm not mad, I just got a little startled, okay?" He attempted to calm the other down, "Can you tell me your name?" The dark haired man spared him a gentle glance, seeing how highly strung the other seemed. "L-Lee Taeyong..." He must've been easily intimidated, because it barely took anything for him to seem anxious and timid. "I'm Byun Baekhyun, I'm a detective for the Androscoggin county Police Department so there's no reason to be nervous around me, alright?" He looked Taeyong in the eye, big, glimmering eyes glancing right back as he responded in a nod.

"Right, I just... Have a lot on my mind recently, I feel pretty on edge lately and I'm nervous around people." Fidgeting his hands, he then positioned his head downwards as to anxiously glare at his own palms. "Why don't you come to my house and have a drink? I'm sure unwinding a bit might make you feel better." Taeyong shook his head, "I don't drink." He insisted, his strange characteristics made Baekhyun think he was lucky to have never been on the wrong end of an interrogation table. "Well, I have coffee too if that's more your speed." He gladly nodded.

Baekhyun put his arm around the delicate stranger and lead him to his house, maybe not something he would normally do, but right now it felt right. His apartment was less than a block away, he brought Taeyong up to the second floor and invited him into his house.

"Sorry that it's a mess right now, I wasn't planning on having company." Taeyong took a look around, it wasn't much but it was nice, quaint. "No, it's fine. I don't mind." He took a seat on the couch, hands pressed against his legs as his eyes darted around. Baekhyun was in the kitchen, he could hear him moving around, the coffee maker, dishes clinking, after a minute or two he came back out with two cups of coffee.

Observing his surroundings, he first noticed the coffee table right in front of him, cluttered with various differing items like paperback books, his laptop, and empty coffee mugs stacked inside of each other. On the walls, there was framed art, it looked like watercolor paintings probably made by someone local, maybe someone Baekhyun knew.