love me, not him

warning : chubby reader ; first years being jerks ; y/n doesn't feel good enough for oikawa

--------------

"More... more, I need to do more!", Oikawa quietly growled.

He wasn't satisfied. Not at all. It needed to be perfect. He needed to be perfect.

"Aaahh!", he gasped loudly.

Once Toru turned around, you stood there, grinning at him cheekily. In one hand, you had his cold water bottle. You had pushed it against his hot neck to tease and surprise him.

"Y/n-chan! How mean! You can't surprise me like that. What if great Oikawa-san gets a heart attack and dies?! "

"Yes, yes I know, I am sooo sorry I have scared the Great King Oikawa-san. Please, your highness, can you forgive me?", you joked and laughed.

Toru visibly pouted before he also chuckled.

"Fine, just because it's you Y/n-chan. But you're an even bigger meanie than Iwa-chan."

"Heyy, that it NOT true, I have never headbutted you before, have I?", you tilted your head slightly with a knowing smirk.

Though it soon softened until you just smiled at him and pushed the bottle against his chest. Even though Oikawa wanted to say something, the small shove stopped him.

"Drink. I know I can't stop you, but at least stay hydrated. I'll wait until you're finished."

Toru grabbed the bottle with a small frown on his face.

"You don't have to wa-"

But you dug your finger into his chest to interrupt him.

"I'll wait. Can't have my best player possibly hurt himself and no one's there to help.", the next thing you simply mumbled, "Plus I am your best friend, so shut up."

Then you walked away and sat down on the sidelines. For a moment, Oikawa just looked at you playing on your phone, before his gaze traveled to the bottle in his hand. A small smile played around his lips.

You were so cute. Worrying about him like that... you shouldn't have, and yet, it made his heart jump. But he wasn't allowed to feel that way.

After he took a big gulp from the water bottle, he put it to the side before continuing his training. However, concentrating was even harder now. His thoughts circled around his feelings for you and what had happened three years ago.

He wasn't allowed to love you.

Three Years Ago

"Hehe okay byeeee! See you for training camp!", you cheered and waved before you stepped into the bus and left.

Iwaizumi and Oikawa were on their way home and like always, stopped at the bus stop when it was your time to get on. It had been like that for many years. Soon, as you would get into high school, they wouldn't get the chance to walk home with you anymore.

It was rather quiet for a second and Toru was about to continue the walk home while Iwaizumi kept staring at the moving bus for a moment longer. Just to turn around and drop the bomb right then and there.

"I like Y/n."

Toru was so surprised he almost tripped and fell because he had turned around with so much force. With big eyes, he looked at his best friend, but Oikawa realized he wasn't joking.

"You... don't like her, do you?", Hajime then asked almost a little... shyly.

"Ah, eeerrr no. I mean Y/n-chan's kinda cute but I don't feel like that for her.", and it was the truth back then. He didn't like you as in wanting a romantic relationship with you. You were just his friend. Best friend, yes, but just a friend.