The Wedding

I walked into the sanctuary, my sharp eyes taking in the scene unfolding in front of me. The wedding decorations were better than anyone could hope for. It was so perfect because it was so simple that it didn't take any attention away from anyone, but it was still gorgeous and set the mood. America had good taste.

America. I really didn't want to have any hard feelings towards her, but it was hard to be gracious and encouraging when she took everything I wanted. It was harder because I was so close.

I shook my head, as if trying to shake away my thoughts. I didn't want to think about America right now. I looked up at the end of the aisle, definitely not to see Maxon. But then I did.

I tried to break away my stare, but it was too hard. He was too breathtaking. He had a suit on that I had seen before. When we had taken those photos, when I had stood out the slightest bit. When he still remembered me.

I studied his eyes, the deep brown eyes that had led me on so many times to thinking I would win. I had thought that he would end the Selection the second we broke away from our kiss. It wasn't his first, but I had really hoped that he would have loved it like his first. But of course he wouldn't have. Because his first was with America.

His eyes were filled with love and hope. The love that I had once thought was held for me. But he didn't even notice me staring at him. His eyes only saw America. I could see him, trying his hardest to see through the doors that America would soon walk through. He couldn't bear being away from her for the slightest bit. It seemed like it made him nervous. He was getting anxious from being away from his soulmate for this long.

But I still loved him. If he decided to call off his engagement with America (as if that would ever happen), and he asked me instead, I would die happy.

But that will never happen.

The second the doors opened, all of Maxon's nerves were swept away. His posture relaxed a bit, his hands stopped fidgeting, and his eyes were trained solely on America's.

She looked gorgeous. Breathtaking. Of course he wanted her. Why would he have me when he could have America?

As America walked down the aisle, holding her head as high as she possibly could for Maxon, tears filled her eyes. I could almost imagine how she felt. Marrying Maxon was both of our dreams, and she was getting hers.

A small tear rolled down Maxon's cheek, so small that no one else would notice it. Because everyone was watching America.

Except for me.

Maxon's eyes were glistening as America joined him on his platform. They gazed into each others' eyes, as if they could see no one else in the world. Least of all me. Maxon whispered something into her ear, and they both laughed softly. There were no nerves, no tension, no butterflies up on the platform between Maxon and America. They were the only people in the world at that moment.

As they embraced, my world collapsed. My heart fell to pieces. I knew that I would hold it together until I got home. Then I would lock myself in my room, and try to let go of my feelings for Maxon.

I knew I would try... but fail.

quick note - first of all, thanks for reading!! also, i found the cover image off of google. i did not create it, it is not mine, and if that raises problems with anyone, i can quickly take it off and change it. just wanted to acknowledge that. :) i hope that was good... i haven't really done this stuff before ;)