Chapter 1: The Boy With The Riolu

Author's Note:

Hello all, and once again happy GCTOversary! Since I had a few things delayed that I wanted to upload today, I thought I'd post the first part of a two-parter story that I've been working on for Potat Lasaro, winner of one of my hockey pools. I've actually had this part done awhile, but I've been waiting to get the second part done...and I've been bad at keeping up with everything. Anyway, this was written prior to Ash and Bea facing off in the Hyper Class in the anime, but it doesn't actually involve the World Championships so I think it still works. This kes place in the Isle of Armor and Ash, Goh and Chloe are on a trip to look for a Kubfu for Professor Cerise. While there, Ash is competing in a tournament and...a certain fighting type trainer is there. Hope you enjoy part one!

Chapter 1: The Boy With The Riolu

"Ash, hurry up! Your battle will be starting soon!"

Ash blinked in confusion, staring over at the front doors of the Pokemon Centre, where his friends Goh and Chloe had just burst through, each looking flustered. The piece of toast that was in Ash's hand dropped to his plate as he followed their gazes to the clock that was over the front desk where Nurse Joy was currently helping a trainer with an injured Scorbunny. The three of them continued to stare at the clock for another moment, before suddenly Ash felt something hitting his hand.

"Ouch!" he hissed, rubbing the back of his hand as he turned to the yellow Mouse Pokemon glaring at him from the seat next to him.

"Pika!" Pikachu snapped, nudging Ash in an attempt to get him out of the booth where he'd been stuffing his face for the last few minutes, oblivious to everything around him.

"Uh, right!" Ash said quickly, grabbing his Rotom-phone off the table before sliding out of the booth. He quickly yelled his thanks to Nurse Joy for the breakfast before running out the doors behind Goh and Chloe, scolding himself for not having paid any attention to the time. He was just putting his hat on over his messy raven-coloured hair, when Goh glanced at him, still keeping up a fast pace as they ran through the cobblestone streets of the busy Galarian town on the Isle of Armor.

"I can't believe you forgot about your match, Ash!" his friend said, amusement in his blue eyes, despite his exasperated tone. "We left early to watch the other semi final match and thought you would meet us at the stadium."

Ash gave a sheepish laugh, rubbing the back of his neck. "Well, I guess I slept in a bit and then I got hungry. I thought you must've been out trying to look for that Kubfu Professor Cerise was asking us to keep an eye out for."

"We did actually start out doing that," Chloe noted, looking sideways at Goh, flicking her maroon-coloured ponytail away from her face, which got the attention of her Eevee, who mimicked the motion. "Then Goh noticed the other match had started and we went to see if you were there."

"Uh...yeah, I guess that sounds right," Goh muttered, laughing nervously.

"Why didn't you guys just call me?" Ash asked. He'd never really used cell phones before, but he had to admit that once he'd gotten the Rotom-phone, it had been very convenient. "I would've liked to see the other match. We haven't been able to watch any of the other battles with Professor Cerise asking us to look for Kubfu, and that Mustard guy needing us for all those other tasks. I'm still wiped out from gathering those Slowpoke."

"I was about to and then Goh took off after a Pancham that he thought was this mysterious Kubfu. We were right next to the Pokemon Centre once that was done," Chloe explained, rolling her eyes. "Anyway, we should be able to make your match now," she added as she glanced at the time on her own Rotom-phone.