Chapter 1 ~ Highschool

Mayella
Mayella and Reece's song: The Way I Loved You- T- Swift

"I'm so excited, this is our last year of high school!" My best friend Amara starts jumping up and down as I laugh. "Oh and your eighteenth birthday is coming up!" Shoot I forgot about that. Not that I forgot but it hasn't been on my mind. You know what has been on my mind? Finishing school, then going to college just like my parents did and fall in love.

Yep, I'm a sap for romance. I grew up reading Aunty Fay's romance books and spending most of my free time in her library. I also have Cole Carter and Abby Carter as my parents, who have the most romantic love story.

I mean they haven't told me everything, they said they would save it for when I'm eighteen, but they said all I need to know right now is, 'Dad saved me from an evil man, kind of like a princess.' my mom's words.

I would make her tell their story to me every night before bed because I was so in awe that part of it was real.

As for my aunty and uncle, since they had a pretty fast get together, I knew every detail. Aunty Fay would tell me it to me every time I came over. Which was pretty often. I just love love and crave for it.

My dad doesn't like it though, obviously. He got upset when he found out I was asked to my sophomore prom. I was then forced to go with Reece, the only guy my dad likes. And even then, he just uses Reece for my protection.

I'm not complaining though. Me and Reece have been close friends ever since we were babies, I mean my nickname was his first word, and my third word was his, after mama and dadda of course. But he is still in the top three.

Even though his mom and dad are my 'uncle and aunt', I don't consider Reece to be my cousin or related like that. In fact, I have liked him for a long time.

That was until he got together with the head cheerleader. I mean I saw it coming, he was the captain of the hockey team, and she was the captain of the cheerleading squad.

They were going to be together at some point. But that's not what got me upset, it was the fact that one day, Bree, the cheerleader, found out that I hang out with Reece on a daily basis since our parents are so close, and she walked right up to me in the lunchroom and spilled all of her food on me.

Reece did nothing, in fact he told me later that day that we need to stop being friends.

Stop being friends... After eighteen years of friendship, he threw it away for her. And he knew that they were not going to last, but he did it anyway.

I hope he doesn't think that when they break up, he is allowed to come back into my life and pretend to be my best friend again. Because that's not the case, in fact, I hope he never does.

My dad doesn't know about this, but my mom does. My dad would raise hell if he found out that Reece did that to me. I don't want my dad hating him just because he decided that I wasn't his bestfriend anymore.

I hope he is just the kid next door. I don't need him, he made the mistake, not me. If he wants my friendship back he has to earn it.

"May?" I hear Amara calling my name and I look up to see the hallway is empty. I then smile at her and we walk to class.

I don't tell her what I was thinking about, after all, she is Bree's younger sister. She is the same age as me and Reece. Bree is a year older, she was just held back a year in the third grade.

"Is this seat taken?" I hear a voice and look up. I'm now seated in my first period class, sadly me and Amara didn't have this class together so I sat in the back. I shake my head and he sits down.

Max, from the football team. He was a nice guy, he wasn't a player, he was exactly how my dad was in school, the sweet and kind athlete.

I smiled at him as he got out his note paper. This man actually had his own paper and multiple pencils.

He sees me staring and smiles at me. I then turn to the front of the class once the teacher walks in with a blush on my face.

The rest of the class goes by in a heartbeat, we have an assignment due by next Monday and we have to pick out partners.

"Wanna partner up?" I hear Max say and I nod almost too fast. He gives me a laugh and walks out with this backpack hanging on him by one strap. I gather my things and get up as well and head to my next class.

There I sit down and wait, I open my binder to see a note,

'Thanks for lending me that seat, here's my number...'

I smiled at this and bit my lip to keep it from being a toothy smile. The teacher walks in and a couple students behind them, one being Reece. I avoid eye contact with him and hope he doesn't sit here.

Obviously he does but doesn't say anything. I decide to stop being a baby and handle the situation like a teenager, I ignore him.

I can feel his eyes on me the whole class but ignore it. Once class is over I start to head to my next class. I can also tell he read the note that was given to me, I had it on the front of my desk. I had already put his number in my phone.

I wanted to keep it there so it would get under Reece's skin.

I could have sworn I heard him calling me names, but it didn't matter anymore, he didn't matter to me anymore.

What he did, maybe I could forgive with time, I hope that I would be able to forgive, but I will never forget it, unless he does something that makes it forgettable.

🎀

By the end of the day, I head to the football field to wait for Max like he told me too. "Hey, the rink is that way!" I hear a couple jocks call out to me. They say that because they know me and Reece used to be friends, until what he did.

I get teased about it everyday. But I ignore it and walk to the football field, seeing Max there cleaning his things up. He smiles once he sees me coming.

"Ready?" I nod and we start to walk back to my house to work on the project.

A/N

WOO FIRST CHAPTER!