Lies are Entertainment - Reader X Izaya Orihara Oneshot

⌠IGaveUpEverythingForFame. . .⌡

During the night is when you made your move, the rattle of metal and wheezing of compressed air making an impression on the people of Ikebukuro who found what was left behind come early morning. An old newspaper was left to flitter in the breeze, bound by the weight of silver cans. Your tennis shoes shrilled as you shuffled to the side, the harness strapped across your waist holding you metres above the concrete ground. The can of spray paint you held in your grasp rattled as you prepped it for another long stroke of colour.

“What an impressive piece of work.”

You relaxed the muscles in your hand, the hissing quietened by the cold grasp of the city night. You wrapped your empty hand around the worn rope of the harness, twisting around and levering yourself off the wall with one leg, the other dangling loosely. It wasn’t all that surprising to see who it was down below, his burgundy eyes sarcastic and endearing, all that and familiar. You pulled the dark scarf from around the bottom half of your face, relishing in the first breaths of fresh air you had taken in half an hour. You followed the action by pulling the hood of your jacket down, shaking a hand through the short strands of your up-do.

“Izaya, isn’t this a pleasant surprise. I suppose I should thank you, since it’s not every day I receive compliments for my artwork. Considering not a lot of people know where it comes from.”

His gaze flickered to the vector inspired graphic art behind you before settling on your levered form, his lips tilting into an amused simper, “I wasn’t talking about the artwork.”

You laughed, idly flipping the aerosol canister in your hand, “Don’t flatter me, information broker. What is it you want?”

He shrugged, slipping his hands into the pockets of his jacket and outstretching them in a lazy fashion, “I just came down to let you know that a few people have been asking me about ‘Kataribe’. They’re very . . . perturbed by the messages you’ve been putting up lately.”

You huffed out a chuckle, turning back to the wall and holding the scarf up to cover your mouth and nose as you sprayed the finishing touches on your graffiti.

“Aren’t you worried?”

You leant back, both feet planted on the wall as you arched your head back, gazing at Izaya with an inverted stare, “Now why would little old me be worried? All I’m doing is expressing the story that’s been unfolding over the past month of two, it’s not hurting anyone.”

You eased the clasp resting against your abdomen, bouncing off the wall as you smoothly lowered yourself to the ground. Once your feet hit the concrete you unhooked the rope from your harness, turning to face Izaya, who had waltzed over to meet you.

“Come now, [Name]. An urban legend such as yourself must be at least a little scared now that someone’s out to get you.”

You shook your head, kneeling down to pick up the spray cans and neatly stack them in your black messenger bag before walking towards him, “Of course I am. But that doesn’t mean I’m worried they’ll find me. You’re the one who decides that, and I feel pretty safe because of it.”

His eyes danced with mischief as he swayed to the right, “Oh? What makes you so sure?”

Your shoulder bumped into his, and you stopped beside him, the both of you turning your heads to meet the other’s gaze, “Izaya, no matter how much you don’t want to admit it, I know how you work. You wouldn’t rat me out, because I’m one of your pawns. If I were taken out of the game it would move along much too slowly for your taste.”

His eyes diluted in volumes, lazily lidded as he shortened the space between the both of you, pressing his lips to the shell of your ear,

“Are you positive?”

“It’s the truth.”

“It’s a lie.”

⌠ . . .IAmTheLieThatYouAdore⌡