Prologue

Mallory Ketling eighteenth's birthday had taken up the majority of the school column for an entire month. It was all everyone could talk about and according to Mallory herself, the planning had taken months.

"This will be the biggest thing that hit Sherdon High since it's founding in the 90s." Annalise read aloud.

"I don't doubt that. If only I could be there for it," Sasha dramatized, sectioning and un-sectioning the same pieces of hair, "You know, you should've just taken up Kathryn's offer."

Annalise sighed. "And let my aunt have a field day with me. Kathryn has a lot of talents, but I can confidently say hair dressing is not one of them."

From the way Sasha fumbled her loose brown curls she was probably not so far off herself.

"How is something so simple in theory, yet so complicated in practice." She finally said, placing her mother's curler back in its place.

"News flash! Sasha Springfield is a total amateur in all things fashion and makeup."

"Haha," Sasha said, "Just Remember, when Carlton-beautiful, smothering, grey eyed Carlton doesn't look your way I won't be there for your breakdown."

"Carlton isn't like that."

In all honesty, Annalise had the least bit of idea what Carlton was like. Beyond the small enclosure of her imagination, she had little clue of what any boy was like. But no matter how hard she tried Annalise couldn't picture Carlton Tarmus as superficial.

"Carlton is like all men, they see a done up girl and they think the most of her. The results show themselves, Malory Ketling, Jennie Winston, the brown twins. They don't pick and prode at themselves to perfection for nothing!"

Annalise joined her worked up friend near the mirror. Now that there were side by side, Annalise wondered how they managed to get away with pretending to be twins for an entire semester of their freshman year.

Back then no one had questioned it due to their almost identical shade of rustic orange hair, but ever since Sasha decided to ditch her natural red for a wood brown the two could not have been any different.

Sasha was a good inches taller, and her assets made up for any doubt that she was still in her prepubescent years. Flat chested and at a un-shocking height of 5'3, Annalise was not as lucky.

"I see perfection," Annalise grinned, posing for a mock picture.

Sasha made a face. "Didn't you wear that shirt yesterday."

Bu the time her mom's car had come into view Annalise's shoulders had gone heavy. Being thrusted into Sasha's extravagant plans every few weeks was something Annalise had come to expect, and now in her absence she would miss it.

"I'd love to stay and hear you comment about my fashion choices but unfortunately our time has come." Annalise said, pointing out the window.

Sasha groaned at the sight of the beat up yellow bus. "I wish I could ditch this stupid Illinois thing."

Annalise smiled. But like a prick she could feel Sasha's comment unease her insides.

"Have fun with your dad, its rare you get to see him for so long. Don't worry about me Sasha, I'm sure I can survive a month without you." Annalise said, more so to reassure herself.

Sasha grabbed her heart, pretending to be in pain. "Wow! Count me utterly offended," She exclaimed, before engulfing Annalise into a tight hug.

It was a sweet moment, and if her mother hadn't decided it was high time she started to honk her horn it might've lasted forever.