1

A hero is what I wanted to be
.
.
.

~Five Years Old~

"Mom! Dad! Look what I can do!" I showcased the palm of my hand where a spark of white lightning flickered on and off.

The excitement in my eyes left my parents smiling who clapped their hands for me.

"You're just like your mother," commented my dad who nudged my mom's elbow. "Why don't you show her yours again?"

I eagerly kept my eyes on her with a large smile plastered on my face as I quietly whispered, "Please?"

"If you insist," she slightly smiled as she extended her hand out to me where bolts of lightning instantly appeared on her hand.

"Woah!" My eyes sparkled as I watched the way lighting erupted from the palm of my mother's hand in a millisecond. "I want to be just like you!"

My mother's side of the family, the (L/n)s, were gifted with something unique.

That something was a unique ability or now referred to as a superpower. But we weren't the only family who possessed unique abilities. There were quite a few families who did posses something whether it be small or grand.

My mom would always tell me of the superpowers she had seen when she was out protecting others, but whenever I asked about my grandma or my ancestors, a grim expression would appear on her face and she grew cold.

The (L/n)s weren't liked, but hated by almost everyone in the city and world.

Our ancestors have a history for going mad with power and turning into a villain.

But I'm not sure if I believe that considering my mom hasn't turned that way. She would always promise that she would be better than them or at least never turn out like them.

Our family time didn't last long until we heard numerous cries erupting from outside. My mom walked on over to the window where she was met with a sight that made her stomach drop.

As I was about to walk up beside her, my dad pulled me back to prevent me from witnessing the horror that was occurring outside.

"I have to go out there and help," sharply said my mom who scurried on over to her room and changed into a different attire.

My dad had let me go and caught sight of the destruction that was happening outside before he stopped my mom from leaving.

"Are you sure it's okay for you to go out there?" He worriedly asked.

"You know I have to."

"It doesn't look good out there. What if something serious happens to you? What if... you don't come back?" He choked out as he gripped onto her hands.

She slipped her hands away from him and planted a kiss on his lips. "I'll be back. I promise."

She opened a window and jumped out to face the one behind this chaos.

My dad and I were left at home as we anxiously awaited for her to come back. Time dragged on and the sounds of explosions and dreadful cries continued to reach our ears. Minutes had turned into an hour and my dad could no longer wait.

"I have to go find her."

"But you can't go out there!" I argued as he proceeded to get up and search the room for any weapons he could use.

"I'm going to hide you somewhere. You have to make sure not to come out until we're back. Do you understand?"

"But-"

"Do you understand?" He raised his voice at me as he held onto my shoulders and directly stared into my (e/c) eyes.

I forced myself to nod my head with fear seeping it's way into my body as I struggled not to cry.

First my mom had gone out and now my dad. I didn't want to be alone here. I hardly know how to protect myself.

"I love you." He planted a kiss on my forehead before he hid me inside their closet that contained a secret passageway in case of an emergency.

My eyes and body trembled as I watched him shut the closet and heard his retreating footsteps fade away as I was left holding myself with tears slipping down my cheeks.

Waiting in here felt like an eternity as I had no idea how long I remained hidden, but I flinched when I heard an ear piercing scream echoing throughout the city and I could hear the rumbling of clouds and thunder coming from above.

'That's mom...'

The sound of lightning came crashing down making civilians scream and I proceeded to cover my ears with the palm of my hands.

I attempted to drown out the noise but it only grew louder and louder until something crashed down through the roof on the other side of the room.

I jolted upright and clamped my mouth shut as I steadied my breathing to give away my hiding spot. I slightly creaked the door open and my eye searched the room and as I was about to close it and prepare to escape through the passageway, my mother came stumbling in through the door with tears rapidly falling down her face and large droplets of blood splattering to the ground.

I threw the door open and quickly went up to her and frantically asked, "What happened to you?"

She fell to her knees and placed her arms over her chest as she desperately shook her head all while mumbling, "I was wrong. It's all my fault."

The front door from downstairs was slammed open with footsteps coming up the stairs and three police officers pointing their weapons at us.

"Put your hands where we can see them!"

"W-What's going on?" I asked with my voice slightly shaky as I glanced between the officers and my mother who fell on her side.

"She's a menace to society!"

"She's gone mad with power just like her ancestors!"

'That can't be...'

Two of them proceeded to turn her around and placed her arms behind her back where they handcuffed her all while she groaned with a pool of blood beginning to form underneath her.

My eyes widened at the sight and I felt my body begin to tremble as I reached out to her, but I was pulled back by one of the officers.

"It's not safe for you to be near her."

"But she's my mom! And she's bleeding!" I retorted with tears waiting to burst. "What about my dad? Where is he?" I asked as I looked over my shoulder and stared up at him.

A grim expression appeared on his face and he remained silent as he avoided my gaze. He let me go and I immediately ran after my mom who was being dragged out.

But I didn't have the chance to get too close to her because a silhouette came crashing in through the window and lunged at my mother with the two of them crashing into another window and falling.

"MOM!!" I screamed with horror filled eyes and ran to the window, but I didn't see them on the ground. They were in the air crashing into numerous other buildings.

The distance between us grew wider and wider and she was out of my sight within a second.

I slumped to my knees with tears bursting down my face as I prayed and hoped that she would come back soon as a victor in this fight.

But...

My mother never returned and neither did my father

A/n: Here I come with another story but this one inspired by a dream I had lol

This will most likely be a short story and chapters will be published when I have a burst of motivation.