Chapter 3 ~ Happy

Mayella

All seven of them are staring at me as I'm seated on the floor as my dad is waiting for my answer. I'm about to speak when my mom speaks up. "Cole, I told you, they are doing a project." My mom hisses at him. "I have snacks set up in the kitchen." My mom says getting everyone to move to the kitchen but me and my dad.

I don't miss Reece looking back to me. "Mayella Sage, I want you to talk to me." My dad stands stern in his place and crosses his arms. I sigh, knowing that Reece isn't hearing this right now makes me feel a little better.

"Like mom said, he was here working on a project. Do you want to see our texts?" I ask handing him my phone. He lets out a deep sigh. "No I don't want to see your phone babes, I know you wouldn't lie to me and you're more like me than your mother. I just want you to be cautious."

I nod telling him I understand. He gestures for me to get up with his hand, he helps me up and wraps an arm around my waist as we walk into the kitchen. Before we can get to the kitchen though, there is a knock on the door.

My dad looks to me and then to the door. Unwrapping his hand from my waist, he goes to the door. Opening to my sister and her boyfriend Maddox. I smile and run to the front door. I hug my sister and she hugs me back.

I then turn to Maddox and give him a big hug. My dad hugs my sister and taps fists with Maddox.

"What are you guys doing here?" I ask and Willow smiles, "Just thought we would come to Monday family night since today was your first day!" She says but I'm not convinced. "All the way from Seattle?"

Yep that's right, Willow moved to Seattle for college. Same campus our parents went to. There she met Maddox, who is so nice that he doesn't even hurt a fly.

"Not happy to see me?" She asks and I playfully roll my eyes. We go to the kitchen and see the rest of the family talking. My mom turns to the noise that is made when we walk in. She sees Willow and starts jumping up and down.

"My baby, and my other big baby!" She hugs both and gestures for all of us. Everyone greets her and her boyfriend and we all snack on a cheese platter while waiting for dinner. I don't miss the looks I see from Reece. He looks sad? But he looks tired as well.

"Alright everyone, sit down, dinner is ready." My mom says and I take my place in my seat. Unfortunately, since we grew up together, me and Reece have always sat by each other. It has never changed, everyone sits in the same place every time.

It's uncomfortable feeling him next to me but I choose to ignore it. We say grace and dig into our meal. I see my sister eyeing me and Reece, I shake my head. She is the only one who knows what happened between us.

Our parents just assumed that because he got a girlfriend, that we just didn't want to hang around each other anymore. Which isn't a lie, but not the whole truth.

When it happened, I went to my sister first, crying my eyes out. Because she was my bigger sister, I looked up to her and I told her everything growing up. All the things I liked about Reece, all the things he would do or say to me. It wasn't till she left that I stopped sharing.

"So May, any boys?" My sister asks and I glare at her. She smirks and takes a sip of her drink. I sigh knowing everyone is now listening because they have stopped all conversation. "No..." I say and my sister slams the table.

"You hesitated!" She laughs. My mom scolds her for "hurting" the table. "I did not..." I say I don't want to talk about it anymore. "Yeah I don't believe you, just give me one word." She says. I rub my face. "Art"

"He's in your art class?" I nod my head. I feel bad for making this up but it's the only way to shut her up. Plus I'm getting a little show from Reecy over here. He seems tense and uncomfortable. "Anything else?" My dad speaks up and I shake my head.

"Well! Anyways, We did come here because of Mayella's first last day of school, you too Reece. But we also came here for another reason." She bites her lip as we all look at her in confusion.

She turns around and digs in her pocket. She turns back around and shows us her left hand. Gasps go around the room as we all start congratulating her. My mom made her way to Willow first. My dad then hugs her tight, not wanting to let go.

I hug her next and we jump up and down. We then spend the rest of dinner talking about the wedding and celebrating.

🎀

It's after dark and everyone has left. Willow and Maddox are staying in her old room. I'm sitting on a balcony ledge. It's not a far jump and I have been doing this for years. I even have a doubled mat that is nailed to the floor beneath because one time I did fall.

My parents don't want me doing it anymore but put it there anyway. I sit here and watch as the stars glow in the night. Trying to think of a scenario of my aunt and uncle. Fay told me that she used to take Uncle Eli to watch the stars.

Sometimes when I'm out here I like to think of how it went down. I sigh in content and try to move my way to my room. Maybe someday, I will be able to go star watching with a boyfriend.

I think about Max for a minute. I don't know why but he wouldn't be a bad companion. Maybe if we stay friends, we can go together.

I smile at the thought and head to my room, getting ready for bed as I finish up any last homework I was given.

I get under my covers and start to dream. What would happen if I just disappeared. Not to be depressing because I'm not, but what if, every time you dream a good dream, you leave the earth for a bit to experience that dream? That would be cool.

I could see myself up and leaving to go dream about what life could have been if Reece would have stuck up for me. But he didn't, he chose her. And if I'm being honest, I don't blame him.

If he really likes her, he should be on her side. That's what love makes you do.

I just wished that I was the one he was siding with.