00.06

Batman's fingers moved swiftly over the keyboard as he typed in the URL. It quickly took them to a black chat screen. They stared at the darkness a few moments before Gordon spoke up, "Maybe he's not there, man." Then a question mark showed, indicating someone was there.

<?> Have you figured it out?  The words spelt out,

That depends, is a penguin a rat with wings? Batman replied.

<?> Interesting.

<?>  It seems I will have to give you another clue. 

<?> I grew up from a seed, as tough as a weed. But in a mansion, in a slum, I'll never know where I came from. What am I?

An orphan?

<?> Yes.

<?> Perhaps this will help you find my next victim.

Victim?

Dead?

<?> Goodbye.

     "Shit," Ghost muttered under her breath. "What does that mean?" Batman was clearly racking his brain for any sort of answer.

     "The orphanage. It was the old Wayne estate." He said.

     Ghost placed a hand on Batman's shoulder, "You don't think he means Bruce Wayne, do you?"

     Batman sighed, "That's what I'm afraid of."

---

     The orphanage was eerily quiet as the trio looked around. Batman had become curiously attached to Ghost after she voiced her concern for his safety. She had almost lost him three times in two days, so now with his hand tightly in hers, she felt comforted. She caught a glimpse of movement and drew a knife from her hip. Gordon peered through a doorway, revealing a group of junkies.

     "What's that sound?" Gordon asked as they continued walking. Batman had already taken Ghost's hand again and was leading her down a dingy hallway. 

     She could hear the familiar chords of Ave Maria drifting from behind two doors. Entering the room, Ghost saw Thomas Wayne's face on a projector screen. Batman squeezed her hand and she squeezed back, comfortingly.

     The three of them watched as the speech ended and the picture changed to a sequence of newspaper clippings. "The Waynes and the Arkhams," a voice boomed, "Gotham's founding families. But behind closed doors, they hide dark secrets of murder and insanity."

     Ghost noticed how tense Batman had grown beside her, so she rubbed her thumb over the back of his hand in gentle circles. "Martha's mother shot and killed her husband, before killing herself," said the voice. "And the cause of death was covered up!"

      Pictures of the crime scene and death certificates were shown. "And Martha herself was in and out of insane asylums for years!" A small gasp left Ghost's lips, parted in horror at this. She didn’t know if her counterpart knew, but her heart ached for him.

      "Thomas Wayne paid hush money to keep it all under wraps. The Waynes and Arkhams, Lies, deceit, and murder!" The voice yelled.

     The end of the video gave Ghost a chance to focus on the great room in which she stood. Graffiti on the walls read 'The Sins of the Father' and 'Renewal is a LIE'.

     "The sins of the father?" Gordon asked. "What is that supposed to mean?"

     "Bruce Wayne," Batman said. "The next victim is Bruce Wayne."

     The ride home was tense as Batman tried calling Alfred for the third time. After the second time, panic crept in and Ghost felt sick.

     "Pick up, Alfred. Pick up," the man pleaded under his breath. After a few more agonizing rings, someone picked up.

     "Hello?" came Dory's sweet voice.

     "Dory! You need to put Alfred on the line. Something bad is going to happen." Batman yelled.

     "I'm afraid it already has, sir." Ghost could now hear the quiver in the elderly woman's voice. "About an hour ago."

     Ghost gasped as she saw Wayne Tower, smoking and in flames. Batman reached for her hand and held it tightly in his. The two wasted no time returning to the Tower to change and meet with the authorities.

     The fire chief held up a card to Bruce, and Lennox read the words in the now familiar scrawl, 'To the Batman' but now, underneath is was written, 'and the Ghost'.

     He opened it, and Lennox's eyes widened at the sight.

SEE YOU IN HELL

03/13/22