『 Chapter 16: The Kill Ring 』

✵ ✵ ✵

The crowd was cheering Hiccup's name as he stood at the entrance of the kill ring. Last night you had broken the news to Astrid about the boy not liking her. She was a little hurt but understood quickly. You were unsure why she was so accepting about it but you sort of brushed it off.

You and the boy could hear the speech from here, "Well, I can finally show my face in public again!" Stoick shouted. You winced at the sentence, imagine being his son and hearing his. Everyone cheered and laughed. You looked over at Hiccup who was looking at the ground. You placed your hand on his shoulder for comfort, "If someone had told me that in a few short weeks, Hiccup would go from being, well... Hiccup, to placing first in dragon training... I would've tied him to a mast and shipped him off for fear he'd gone mad. Yes! And you know it!" Hiccup placed his hand over the top of yours, accepting the comfort, "But here we are. And no one is more surprised or more proud than I am."

Hiccup let out a breath.

"Today, my boy becomes a Viking." Stoick exclaimed, "Today, he becomes one of us!" The crowd erupted with cheers.

You leaned forward, "Be careful with that dragon." Hiccup let out another sigh.

"It's not the dragon I'm worried about." He said, you looked up and watched as Stoick sat down in his chair.

"What are you going to do?" You asked.

Hiccup clutched onto his helmet tightly, "Put an end to this. I have to try." The boy turned to you, "(Y/N)... if something goes wrong... I- just make sure they don't find Toothless. Please take care of him."

"I will. Just promise me it won't go wrong."

He sent you a reassuring smile, "I just wanted you to know, I'm glad my father assigned you to watch over me."

You opened your mouth to say something but were cut off by Gobber, "It's time Hiccup. Knock 'em dead."

Hiccup nodded before walking towards the ring, staring nervously down at the helmet in his hands. The crowds were going wild as the boy stepped forward. Hiccup looked forward and placed his helmet on his head. He nervously walked over to the wall of weapons, he picked up a shield and a small dagger.

Hiccup turned to face a bolted, heavy door. Took a deep breath, "I'm ready." The door bolt was raised and the crowd grew quiet... The doors blasted open with a stream of sticky fire, followed by a Monstrous Nightmare, coated in flames. It tore out of its cave-like an irate bull -- as the crowd roared and taunted the dragon.

          It climbed the walls and chain enclosure like a bat, hissing at the provoking crowd and blasting fire. It spotted Hiccup and descended, leering and licking the flaming drool from its lips. The crowd grew silent, bracing for the big fight. With the Monstrous Nightmare's eyes locked upon him, Hiccup deliberately dropped his shield and dagger before stepping away from them. The dragon paused, confused before looking down at the weapons and then back up at the boy. Hiccup put his hands out towards the dragon.

You grabbed the bars of the cage and watched closely, your heart pounding in your chest, "What is he doing?" You overheard Stoick asking. The crowd gave boos and shouts of disapproval.

The dragon snarled at Hiccup, "Hey- it's okay." Hiccup breathed, trying to calm the creature down, "It's okay!" He then reached up and grabbed his helmet before tossing it to the ground, "I'm not one of them." Everyone gasped, and even the dragon looked surprised.

"Stop the fight," Stoick growled, standing up from his seat.

Hiccup shook his head, "No! I need you all to see this!" He held his hand out, ready to calm the dragon, "They're not what we think they are. We don't have to kill them." Everyone gasped as Hiccup extended his hand.