『 Chapter 17: The Red Death 』

✵ ✵ ✵

Your ideal day wasn't exactly flying right into a horde of angry Vikings and a giant dragon. Well... here you were. Flying into a horde of angry Vikings and a giant dragon. You and Hiccup were on Rainsong while the others were on their dragons. The group of you looked down, seeing the Red Death light up the ships in flames. You spotted Stoick and Gobebr throwing things at the dragon. The large beast reeled its head back preparing to fire at the two men when Rainsong let out a shot hitting the dragon square in the back of the head.

You all flew in formation while most of the teens exclaimed about riding dragons. There were whoops and cheers from the people below. The group of you flew up and started flying in circles.

"Fishlegs, break it down!" Hiccup called.

Fishlegs nodded, "Okay. Heavily armored skull and tail made for bashing and crushing! Steer clear of both!" He said while you all watched the dragon crush a ship with its teeth. You cringed as it threw the boat aside, "Small eyes, large nostrils! Relies on hearing and smell."

As you looked down at the dragon you wrapped your arms around Hiccup tighter, "Okay! Lout, Legs! Hang in its blind spot, make some noise, and keep it confused!" Ruff, Tuff, find out if it has a shot limit! Make it mad! Astrid, try to keep people out of the crossfire! I'll be back as soon as I can!"

You and Hiccup flew towards the ships, trying to find Toothless. You flew past the boats and heard a roar coming from one of the boats.

"There!" Hiccup said, turning towards the boat, Rainsong dove towards the boat, you and Hiccup quickly swapped places and he placed his hand on your shoulder to steady himself. You quickly lowered yourselves to the boat and Hiccup hopped off.

He looked up at you, "Go help the others!" He said. You hesitated at first before nodding and flying towards the giant dragon. You watched as Snotlout and Fishlegs tried to find a blind spot. But the Dragon had six eyes so it could see everything. You noticed the noise was also confusing the Gronckle and the Nightmare. The two dragons fell to the ground, Snotlout jumped off and landed on the giant dragon. You flew around it quickly, looking to find any weak spot or things that could be useful. You noticed the dragon had wings, you wondered if they could be exploited.

Snotlout started hitting the Red Death's eyes with a hammer, "What's wrong buddy? Got something in your eye?"

"Yeah! You're the Viking!" Astrid exclaimed, distracting Snotlout. You also turned to look at her before flying past, not seeing him almost fall. You looked over towards the ships and spotted Toothless and Hiccup who had just shot up from the ground.

"He's up!" You said before getting back in formation and flying towards the dragon. You watched the twins pick up Snotlout from the dragon. You took a shot at the dragon and spun around. The dragon tried sucking you in, preparing to take a shot. Rainsong tried flying faster, but the two of you were still being pulled towards it.

You heard a loud whistling noise and Toothless divebombed and shot in the dragon's mouth, sending both you and Rainsong falling to the ground. You screamed as you fell to the ground, flailing your arms around.

Suddenly you felt a tug on your legs and opened your eyes, you looked up seeing that you were caught by Toothless, "Did you get her?" Hiccup asked, looking over the side of the dragon.

Toothless looked down and sent you a smile. You smiled back at him, holding your arms out sideways. The dragon flipped you around before placing you back down on the ground. You ran up a small hill and stared at the two as they flew towards the dragon.

"Go." You breathed.

You watched as the two sent a couple of shots at the dragon, hitting its wings. You looked around, searching for Rainsong. She bounded over the heads of a few Vikings and hopped over to you before rubbing her face against you.

"Hey, girl." You said before hearing another shot. This time it went silent before a loud thud as the gigantic dragon fell to the ground. You and Rainsong ran over to the other Vikings. You stared in awe as the Red Death raised its wings.

Hiccup and Toothless dove into the tangled sea stacks - they wove through the rock like rabbits through a briar. The Red Death snapped at them, but could not reach them. Hiccup and Toothless quickly pulled ahead. The Red Death slammed through the canopy of rock and pulled in behind Toothless. She burst through fifty-foot formations like they were saplings.

The group of people on the ground watched as Toothless and Hiccup wove through the sea stacks, "Woohoo! Yeah!" They including you cheered.

A moment later the Red Death smashed the sea stacks to dust in hot pursuit. Silence filled the area, fear filling hearts and minds as Hiccup and Toothless slowly rose into the sky. They disappeared into the clouds, watching as the Red Death followed in close pursuit. The silence was imminent as they stared up at the clouds, red flames and purple shots filled the air.

You spotted Toothless with a glowing tail and the Red Death plummeting towards the ground. The black dragon spun around and shot a plasma blast into the giant dragon's mouth. The dragon lit up and fell to the ground. A loud explosion sounded and pushed you all back. You looked up in the fire to see Hiccup plummeting to the ground with Toothless following close behind.

"Hiccup!" You called out before seeing him and toothless fall into the fire.

✵ ✵ ✵

As the smoke cleared you quickly ran over to the place you saw Toothless and Hiccup, searching for a sign of them. You called out his name several times before seeing Stoick doing the same. You glanced over and spotted a flash of black on the ground, "No." You breathed out before running over to the dragon on the ground. Rainsong followed closely behind you as did Stoick. You fell to your knees in front of the dragon and stroked his wings, "Toothless?" You called, trying to get a response. Rainsong nudged the black dragon.

Stoick lightly moved you out of the way as tears began falling from your eyes, there was no sign of Hiccup anywhere. You covered your mouth, trying to stifle your sobs.

Stoick fell to his knees, "Oh, son. I did this." Gobber and the teens pushed through the crowd, all of them gasping at the sight.

Toothless opened his eyes and looked up at you, then Rainsong, and then Stoick.

"Oh, son, I'm so sorry," Stoick said.

Toothless's pupils dilated before he slowly unfolded his wings, revealing Hiccup, unconscious, clutched safely against his chest. Stoick's eyes widened. The man scooped Hiccup into his arms and took off his helmet, pressing his head against his chest to listen for a heartbeat.

"He-he's alive!" Stoick turned back towards the dragon, "You brought him back alive!" His voice was full of emotion and you could hear it crack with happiness. You grinned, feeling even more tears fall from your eyes. Stoick placed his hand on the dragon, "Thank you, for saving my son."

Gobber leaned over, "Well, you know... most of him."

✵ ✵ ✵