『 Chapter 18: Coming Around 』

✵ ✵ ✵

You placed your hand over the top of Hiccup's. He hadn't been unconscious for long but to you, it felt like forever. You glanced over at Toothless who was curled up in the corner of the room, you would have brought Rainsong in here, but there would not be enough room. You let out a sigh as you looked down at the peaceful boy. His hair was slightly in his eyes so you brushed it out of his face.

You suddenly realized how affectionate you were. Back when you had first started watching over him you never thought you would ever have liked him.

But here you were, watching over him as he slept... that sounded better when it was in your head.

You suddenly felt his hand twitch. Toothless must have noticed it too because he rushed over and started sniffing the boy. Frustrated by his lack of movement the dragon let out a growl. Hiccup's eye fluttered which caught your attention. He opened them slowly, noticing your grip on his hand before being nudged by Toothless.

"Hey, Toothless." He said before being nudged again. Toothless leaned over him, beginning to lick his face, "I'm happy to see you too bud!" He said before turning slightly. Toothless stepped on Hiccup's groin, causing him to sit upright with a yelp. You winced before chuckling slightly.

Hiccup looked around, first at you and then at the house a bit confused, he then turned back to Toothless, "I'm in my house?" He then gestured to you, "You're in my house." You nodded, he was acting as if this was some great accomplishment, he then quickly turned to Toothless, "You're in my house!" He exclaimed, watching as the dragon tears around the room, knocking things over, "Does my dad know he's here?" The boy asked you.

"Yeah, he does." You said, watching as Toothless bounded around the room one last time before landing in front of Hiccup's bed and sitting like a dog with his tongue out. He then got up on the rafters and Hiccup went to stand up to get him down. He paused.

He recognized something was missing. Hiccup quickly pulled back the covers, noticing an obvious difference. His leg had been replaced with a wooden and iron prosthetic. He looked up at you before back down at it, not exactly sure how to process this.

You stood up, and stepped away from the bed, patting your legs for Toothless to come down, which he did. You glanced back over at Hiccup.

"Need any help?" You asked, walking back over to his bed. He shook his head.

"I need to learn to do it on my own. But thank you." He said, determination in his voice.

His booted foot touched down. Followed by the mechanical prosthetic in place of his second leg. It was an ingenious spring-loaded replacement, made of wood and iron. Toothless stepped over to the bed and approached calmly, sniffing the new leg. He raised his eyes to meet Hiccup's, seemingly aware of what Hiccup is going through.

Hiccup braced himself on the bedpost and tried to stand on it. He winced and stifled the pain...

"Okay... okay." He tried to reassure himself, you made sure to stand close by if he needed help. As soon as Hiccup took his second step he stumbled right into you. You caught him luckily.

You steadied him, noticing the had look in his eyes before carefully pausing him over to Toothless. You decided that maybe the dragon was the best course of action.

Hiccup leaned on him like a crutch. They took a few steps together. Hiccup pried it open to reveal a Monstrous Nightmare flapping outside the door. Hiccup yelped and slammed the door closed. He turned to Toothless, alarmed.

"Toothless, stay here bud." He said. Hiccup cracked the door open to reveal Snotlout riding on the back of the Monsterous Nightmare. A few other dragons with people on them flew by.

Hiccup completely the door again and walked out, you followed him closely. You felt his hand grip yours and lightly tug, you could tell he was trying to stay balanced so you intertwined your fingers with his to keep him steady.

He was surprised to see both the Vikings and the dragons together in peace, "I knew it. I'm dead." Hiccup said.

Stoick, who had been standing on the top step of the house chuckled, "No, but you gave it your best shot." Stoick gestured out to the village, "So what do ya think?"

As soon as the people spotted Hiccup they all started running towards him, surrounding him like a swarm of bees.

Stoick turned towards Hiccup, "Turns out all we needed was a little more of this." He said, gesturing nonspecifically to Hiccup.

"You just gestured to all of me?" Hiccup said noticing a change in his father's personality.

"Well, most of you." Gobber said, stepping through the crowd, "That bit's my handiwork. With a little Hiccup flare thrown in. Think it'll do?" Gobber gestured to the prosthetic leg.

Hiccup chuckled, "I might make a few tweaks."

Gobber smiled, "Welcome home." He said, passing Hiccup a rebuilt saddle and tail. Suddenly, Toothless jumped out from inside the building and hopped over the crowd, and landed next to you, "Oh! And (Y/N)... I made you a saddle too!" Your eyes widened before you turned Hiccup.

"What do ya say "Dragon Master" wanna go for a ride?" You asked.

Hiccup sent you a smirk before setting up his harness on Toothless. You copied his actions by placing Rainsong in her saddle. You and him both mounted your dragons.

"Last one to the cove is a rotten egg!" You exclaimed. Lifting off and getting a head start.

You heard Hiccup and Toothless lift off behind you, "Woah! So not fair! You got a head start!" Hiccup called, closing in on the two of you. You knew you were no choice that's why you needed that head start. But of course, just like always, Toothless and Hiccup passed you.

It didn't take long, but you did end up getting to the cove... after Hiccup. You got off of Rainsong and marched over to where Hiccup had landed.

"I demand a rematch!" You said, crossing your arms.

Hiccup had a sly grin on his face, "Oh yeah? Well if you want to- It's not like you'll win anyway-" Before he finished his sentence Hiccup was pushed by Toothless, he was shoved into you and you both fell into the lake. It was shallow but you still both got soaked. Hiccup was leaning over you, his hand on either side of you, "Are you okay?" He asked.

You blushed at the proximity of your faces, a motion which didn't go unnoticed, "Yeah- I'm fine."

"Are you sure? You..." Hiccup trailed off of his sentence, forgetting what he was going to say. Instead, he slowly leaned forward, he was unsure what he was doing. You followed his actions, leaning forward slightly. He reached up and cupped your face with his hand before pausing, "C-can I?" He asked softly, his voice barely heard.

You nodded before feeling his lips press against yours. You tilted your head slightly to the left deepening the kiss before hearing Toothless gag, like a dog.

You and Hiccup pulled away and looked at the dragon, "Hey you caused this bud, it's your fault." Hiccup said before looking back over at you, "You know. I can't believe you hated me once."

You chuckled, your face turning even more red than it already was, "Aw, don't bring that up." You said, burying your face into his shoulder.

✵ ✵ ✵