Chapter 4 ~ Park

Reece

Flashback

"Oww!" I hear a yell from across the park and start running to where the voice is coming from. I look down at my feet to see May sitting on the floor with a thorn bush caught in her leg. I gasp and bend down to help her.

"Reecy, that hurts." She cries as I try to remove the branch from her leg. "Its okay, it will feel better after I pull it out okay?" I reassure her. She nods letting me know she trusts me. I yank it out as carefully as I could but also enough to get all the thorns out.

"Ouch!" She yells and rubs her leg as she begins to cry. Uncle Cole comes rushing over and bends down to look at her leg. He kisses it and rubs it while picking her up.

He smiles at me and rubs my head, "Thanks buddy." He ruffles my hair and wraps an arm around my back, leading us to our parents.

I helped mommy and aunty Abby put a big Band-Aid on May's leg. I give May a hug as she squirms because it hurts too bad. She has a grip on my arm and her face is buried in my lap, she tried to calm her breathing down.

"Is it over?" May picks her head up and I nod.

"This is what happens when you take seven year old's to the park." Daddy mutters but enough to where I can hear him.

Flashback over

"Reecy!" A screech comes from my side. I look down to see Bree is trying to get my attention but she failed because I was zoned out. That nickname sounds cringe coming from her mouth. I hate every bit of it.

"Why wont you pay attention to me?" She pouts. "I was just zoned out, sorry." I have been doing this a lot lately, zoning out and getting flashbacks from childhood with Mayella. It has been happening since we broke off our friendship.

"Its okay baby." She leans up and kisses my lips. "Also, dinner at my house Friday?" I nod going back to my thoughts as she lays here. Why am I with Bree? I will never know. All I know is that I was manipulated into this relationship.

I then had an excuse to get out of it when Bree took it too far with Mayella, but my young brain wasn't thinking and was just satisfied that I had a girlfriend. At the time, I thought I didn't need May. But now I realize that I need her more than ever.

A knock comes to my door and is opened. My mom comes in not expecting Bree to be with me. Nonetheless she gives us both a smile, placing my daily medicine and water. She comes over and kisses my cheek. Not acknowledging Bree.

"Hi Miss Fay!" Bree screeches once again. My mom then sighs and realizes she has to say something. "Please, call me Mrs. Graham, I didn't get married to be called my first name by people other than the people I'm close to." I can tell my mom's tone is serious but Bree takes it as a joke.

My mom leaves and I unwrap my arm from Bree and sit at the end of my bed taking my pills. I down my water and lay back down in bed, picking up my book. It's silent for a while until Bree gets a text.

She doesn't show me, instead, she just giggles, kisses my cheek, and leaves. Wow. Honestly, I hope she is cheating so I can get out of this mess. I pick my book back up hoping I have no more interruptions.

I stand incorrect when another knock comes to my door. This time, my dad opens it and smiles at me. "Hey man, Can you take Aurora and Greyson to the park for a while? I would take them but me and Cole have practice."

I sigh but nod, putting my book away and grabbing my shoes. I notice my dad is still standing at my door looking at me. "What?" I ask, not meaning to sound rude, but it sure did. "Hey, don't use that tone with me, I'm not your friend. Now what's your problem?" He crosses his arms.

My dad has never been one to yell, it was always my mom. But I know that my dad and mom has raised us to grow up with respect for our elders. We rarely talk back but once we do, we are immediately corrected.

"It's nothing." I mutter and finish tying my shoes. I then walk out of my room past my dad. I see the twins getting their shoes on as well. They see me and smile. "Are you going to take us to the park Re!?" My baby sister Aurora asks excitedly and I laugh.

"Of course I'm taking you!" I kiss her face and wait for Greyson to get his shoes on. He then jumps up and grabs my hand. They both lead me to the door and I yell to mom that we will be right back.

The twins are ten years old. I guess the twins come from my dad's side of the family. I never knew about it. But Grey and Rory are a great pair. They are each other's best friends. I know that they are all they need.

Me on the other hand, I need them as well. They give me so much joy and I can't help but feel that they are also my best friends. After me and Mayella stopped hanging out, the two started questioning everything and it's hard to lie to them.

"Grey look! It's Ellie!" Aurora screams as she runs across the park. I'm not sure who Ellie is, maybe a friend? I can tell Gray knows what she is talking about because they both rush over to the field of grass.

I start to speed walk to them and see they are now tackling whoever is on the ground. I get closer as I realize it's May. She is giggling with Rory and Grey and talking about her day.

"Did you guys come here alone?" May asks as she doesn't notice me even though I'm walking right up to her. "No silly! Re is here with us!" Rory giggles again and points to me. I see May tense up and drop her smile.

I start to feel sad, I hate that she hates me. I hate what I did. But I can't take it back.

"Oh, Hey Reece." She smiles. This is the first time she has ever talked to me. It catches me off guard. "Hey May." I smile at her. She seems happier, she gives me a smile as well.

What did I do to deserve a hey and a smile? I will never know. "Well, I better get going, I have a project due tomorrow. I will see you guys later alright!" May kisses Grey and Rory on their cheeks and hugs them.

She gives me a smile and picks up her stuff and walks away.

At least I got a smile from her, that's a start.