[29] ᴡᴇ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴏᴛᴇʟ ᴍᴏᴛᴇʟ ʜᴏʟɪᴅᴀʏ ɪɴɴ - ᴘᴀʀᴛ 2

One bed.

Two people.

Two people... that are just friends.

"I mean, if you wanted to get closer, you could've just asked... We could've just hung out more. You didn't have to ask for one bed–"

"I didn't ask for one bed. She must've just assumed we were a couple and decided to give us a room with one bed."

I circled around the queen-sized mattress and, while the logical part of me said to call the front desk and ask to switch rooms, the tantalizing sight of the soft white comforter and fluffed pillows beckoned me in. I was exhausted. We had ended up driving searching for a hotel longer than we had intended. And I wasn't in the mood to feel the embarrassment of asking for another room.

"Let's just keep it."

"What?" Alex looked at me, his bloodshot eyes wide and red.

"It's the middle of the night, we're exhausted, and we still have a lot more driving to do tomorrow. I say we just split the bed, keep our backs turned to each other tonight, and ensure that at tomorrow's hotel, we make absolutely certain that we get a room with two beds." Alex still had a look of disbelief on his face. I'm sure if I were in his position I would be thinking the same thing: this is crazy. But the lack of energy was enough to make me throw my backpack down and start shuffling through my luggage, looking for pajamas.

Alex stayed silent, but eventually his stillness signaled his agreement and he, too, started searching for clothes to rest in.

Since I had found my clothes first, I took the liberty to use the bathroom first. I brushed my teeth, hair, and changed out of my comfortable road trip jeans into my comfortable pajama pants. As I washed the remaining bits of minty toothpaste from my lips, I heard the high pitched ring of my phone, signaling the arrival of a text.

It was Karl.

Asking about how the first half of our road trip was and if we had made it to the hotel safely.

'How is it? Is it it 5 stars with an indoor pool and all you can eat buffet :0'

'Customer service is dogwater and i'm pretty sure the only pool here is a grease pool in the kitchen,, and they charge extra for breakfast'

'Aww :( that sucks... but at least the rooms are nice?'

'Yeah the bed looks rly comfy,, then again im dying of sleep'

'Nice, did you get the bed closer to the window or against the wall'

'Does that matter???'

'Yes. the wall bed is so much better. You dont fall to your death in the middle of the night'

I laughed at the ridiculousness of the message Karl had sent, picturing him fighting for the wall bed because he probably had a chronic habit of falling out of it in the middle of the night. However, my thoughts changed once I remembered the situation Alex and I had been so awkwardly placed in.

It's not like anything was going to happen, it's just a very weird situation to be placed in... with your friend.

The question was: do I tell Karl about this?

The pros: He would help me calm down and not think of it as super weirs, even though it is, and he would probably feel some sympathy for us. Along with writing a really bad review on Yelp for this place on our behalf.

The cons: He might not help because he's been wanting Alex and I to get together for a REALLY long time. And when I say "really," I don't just mean the last few months. I mean, the last few years, dating back to when we first met. There's a huge chance Karl could just hang up on me and just say something stupid like "It wouldn't be awkward if you guys were dating, so just date. Right now. As of right now, be dating."