『 Chapter 26: Pride of Berk 』

✵ ✵ ✵

You and Hiccup landed near the forge, "Ha! HA!" You heard Stoick bellow, "There he is! The pride of Berk!" You and Hiccup quickly dismounted your dragons and ran over to his father. 

"Look who finally decided to show up for work. Yay." Gobber said, pulling up his mask. 

Hiccup nodded before waving to the man, "Sorry Gobber, got held up." He then turned around, coming face to face with his father, "Hey, uh, Dad, could I have a word?" You quickly followed behind him, prepared to back him up on whatever he was about to say.

Stoick grabbed some chains and pulled down on them before putting his hands on Hiccup's shoulders, "Something you've been itching to tell me?" He asked.

"Uh," Hiccup shook his head, "Not quite the itch you're thinking of, but yes." 

The two of them walked over to the other side where Stoick grabbed an apron and passed it over to Hiccup, "Ah good man! Now, lesson one: a chief's first duty is to his people." Stoick said grabbing a tile while Hiccup placed the apron back up, "So... 41!" Stoick called, looking for the person with 41.

"Well can we just talk in private for..." Hiccup was interrupted by Stoick calling out for 41 again, "If we could just talk?" Stoick turned towards the man and looked at him expectantly.

"Okay, okay, I want one of those high seaters!" The man started, and Stoick listened intently to his order, "With lots of spikes and a big storage compartment!" 

Stoick nodded, "Absolutely! You got it, sir!" 

You placed your hand on Hiccup's arm and sent him a nod, he let out a breath and stepped forward, "Dad, this is actually a little more important than building saddles." Stoick placed his hand on Hiccup's other shoulder. 

Stoick nodded, "Ah, lesson two: no task is too small when it comes to serving your people."

"-but, Dad..."

Stoick stepped over Gobber's dragon and rubbed his nose, "Excuse me, Grump!" 

Hiccup tried to keep up, "Can we just talk..." You followed quickly as Gobber started yelling at the dragon about letting the forge die, "Okay, but seriously, I really need to tell you about this new land we came across." Hiccup said, picking up a tray.

"Another one?" Gobber asked.

Fishlegs broke through past Gobber, "Any new dragons?"

"We didn't stick around to find out." You said, carrying on for Hiccup, "These folks weren't particularly friendly." 

Gobber nodded sarcastically, "Oh really? Your Night Fury and Silver Phantom didn't bring them cheering to the rooftops?" 

"No, this was different." Hiccup waved his hands around, "Not the standard run-for-the-hills hoo-ha I've come to enjoy." He reached up and pulled around a barrel. And started painting onto the leather strip that was pressed onto the barrel, "These guys were trappers! Dragon trappers."

Everyone went silent, giving you time to speak, "You should have seen their fort. All blown apart and stuck in giant spikes of ice! It was weird." 

Hiccup nodded gesturing to you, "I've never seen anything like it." He then turned around, "A-and worst of all, they thought we did it!" 

Gobber spun a roundabout full of different prosthetic hands, "You know, you two are gonna get yourselves in serious trouble..." He placed a hairbrush in the place for the prosthetic, "...one of these days." He began brushing his beard, "Not everyone appreciates this way of life."

Stoick nodded, pulling the leather off the barrel, "Aye, Gobber's right, son. Best we keep to our own. Besides, you'll have more important uses for your time." Stoick put the leather down and turned on a giant mechanical saw, "Once we make the big announcement!" 

Hiccup reached forward and turned off he saw, "They are building a dragon army." Silence filled the room, "O-or at least the guy they work for is. Uh... "Dargo... Bloody Fist" or something." Hiccup said shrugging. You nodded, humming in approval to back up his claim.

Gobber and Stoick shared a look before Tuffnut peaked in, "I'll bloody his fist with my face if he tries to take my dragon!" The male twin spoke up.

"Or mine!" Said the other. 

Tuffnut let out a groan, "Uh, you're such a moron." 

Fishlegs nudged her slightly, "A beautiful moron." Snotlout nodded agreeing with the larger boy. Ruffnut let out a noise of disgust.

Stoick reached out and grabbed Hiccup's shoulders, "Bludvist? Drago Bludvist?" His father had a deep expression of fear in his eyes.

"Uh, yeah. Wait..." Hiccup looked up at him concerned, "You know him?" He asked, you and the boy shared a look. 

✵ ✵ ✵

"Ground all dragons!" Stoick yelled running down a set of stairs.

Hiccup and you followed the man closely, "What? Why?" The boy asked. All of the other teens followed behind you as Stoick continued shouting orders, "Woah, woah, woah, wait wait!" Hiccup called out, trying to get his father's attention, "What is happening?"

"No dragon or Viking set's foot off this island unless I give the word!" Stoick yelled, causing you and Hiccup to look at each other nervously.

"Wait, because some guy you knew is stirring up trouble in some faraway land?" Hiccup asked.

Stoick turned around, looking pointedly at you and then his son, "Because Drago Bludvist is a madman without conscience or mercy. And if he's built a dragon army, gods help us all." Hiccup followed the man as he barked orders.

"Then let's ride back out there. We'll follow those trappers to Drago and talk some sense into him." Hiccup tried to reason with the man.

Stoick shook his head, holding out a hand to stop the boy, "No. We fortify the island." 

"It's our duty to keep the peace!" Hiccup begged, trying to stop the man from making rash decisions.

Stoick shook his head, "Peace is over Hiccup! I must prepare you for war!"

"War?" Hiccup asked causing your eyes to widen, "Dad if Drago's coming for our dragons, we can't wait around for him to get here! Let's go find him and change his mind!"

"No, some minds won't be changed, Hiccup." Stoick gestured to the area around him, "Berk is what you need to worry about! A chief protects his own." Stoick then turned around and started barking orders again. 

You looked over at Hiccup who had a determined look on his face, "Hiccup- don't!" You called. He turned toward you before placing a quick kiss on your cheek.

"I have to." He said, causing you to let out an exasperated sigh before following him.

Hiccup quickly hopped onto Toothless while you were on Rainsong. Your dragon let out a grumble before the two of you flew out of the now-closing gate, you could hear Stoick calling after the both of you as the gate slammed shut behind you. You then flew through the stables to find an exit. All the doors were closing in front of you until you turned to face the far door, the two off you shot off and out the closing gate and into the open air.

✵ ✵ ✵