『 Chapter 27: "Prisoners" 』

✵ ✵ ✵

The two of you had been flying for what felt like hours before you spotted the tiny ship down below, it was unmistakable, this was the group of men from before. They were yelling and shouting at each other, and you could tell they had spotted the both of you.

Eret shot some nets at the two of you, luckily you both maneuvered and avoided them before landing on the ship. The man pulled out his knife while you pulled out yours and Hiccup pulled out his sword.

"And here I was worried we might turn up empty-handed," Eret said, pointing his knife at the two of you. You growled, slightly getting up ready to throw your knife at him.

Hiccup held out his hand, telling you to stand down, "Nope! It's your lucky day." He held his hands up, "We give up!" You looked over at Hiccup confused. Eret also lessened his hold on the knife while Hiccup got off Toothless, "That's one Night Fury, uh, one Silver Phantom, and..." He picked up a net and threw it over top of you after you had gotten off of Rainsong, "Two of the finest dragon riders west of Luk Tuk." He said, taking your knife out of your hand and giving it to Eret, "That oughta make the boss happy right?" He said before lightly pushing you forward towards the cage at the bottom of the ship, "Excuse us." He said pushing a guy's ax out of the way.

You took the net off and threw it at some other guy, "What are you doing?" You asked, whispering to Hiccup. Toothless growled so Hiccup turned around.

'Ah- Toothless, stay." He said, pulling down the top of the cage, "Uh, the dragons don't really care for cramped spaces, so they'll just hang out with you." Hiccup said. You watched as Hiccup scratched at the roof of the cage and then you hear the men point several weapons at him, "Unless you do that." He said, peeking out of the cage, "You know, wooden boats, big ocean... H- how is your swimming?" Hiccup asked.

One of the men clutched his crossbow close to his chest, "Not good..." You chuckled as Eret let out an exasperated sigh.

Hiccup then stuck the blade of his sword out through the entrance of the cage and lit it on fire, "Oops! Almost forgot. Can't have armed prisoners!" Hiccup handed the sword to one of the men.

You looked up at him shocked, "How is this a plan?" You asked silently, and he sent you a small wave, telling you that he had it.

"Just what every dragon trapper needs. One end coats the blade in Monsterous Nightmare saliva." Hiccup explained while slowly ducking down as the guys on the boat opened the compartment that had the gas, "The other sprays Hideous Zippleback gas. All it takes is a spark and-" The men lit the sword causing a huge explosion, "Oh, yeah, there you go!" Hiccup said before peeking back over, "Once they see you as one of their own, even the testiest dragons can be trained."

You peaked over the side to see Toothless playing around with a floating piece of glowing ash in the air. Rainsong followed his movements closely with her eye, turning her head as he tumbled over.

"Right, bud?" Hiccup asked.

Eret took the sword from one of the men's hands and tossed it overboard. Rainsong was quickly distracted by the throw and followed it off the ship before catching the sword and bringing it back.

"What game are you playing?" Eret asked.

Rainsong landed back on the ship and dropped the sword on the ground next to Eret.

"No game." Hiccup started, "We just want to meet Drago."

Eret picked up the sword once more and tossed it over the other side of the ship, trying to get rid of it once more. But Rainsong followed again, flying off the ship and catching the sword in her mouth.

"Why?" Eret asked, facing Hiccup this time.

Hiccup looked at the man with determination in his eyes, "Because I'm going to change his mind about dragons." Rainsong then landed on the ship once more and dropped the sword again to Eret's feet, wagging her tail, her pupils dilating. You chuckled lightly at her actions.

The men on the boat started laughing at Hiccup's response. Rainsong noticed the lack of Eret's attention and pushed the sword closer to his feet. He paused his laughter and looked up at the dragon in shock.

You peaked over the cage opening, "He can be really persuasive." You said. Toothless then leaned over towards Hiccup, tilting his head down. You crossed your arms, watching the scene.

Hiccup rubbed the dragon's head, "Once you've earned his loyalty, there is nothing a dragon won't do for you."

"Pfft!" Eret let out a disbelieving noise, "You won't be changing any minds around here." Eret pointed towards the men behind him.

You noticed Rainsong nudging some of the men, trying to get their attention so they would throw the sword. You made a clicking noise with your tongue and Rainsong's head shot up turning towards you. You made a come here motion with your hand and the dragon pushed through the men and toddled towards you. She dropped the sword on the ground and you picked it up, giving it a good throw over the edge. She quickly got up and flew after it.

"I can change yours. right here, right now." Hiccup said before reaching over and grabbing the lever, where he usually put his prosthetic on the side of Toothless's harness and giving it a good pull. Toothless's tail changed, revealing the whole thing. He then got out of the cage and stood you. You followed quickly, but still standing back, "May I?" Hiccup asked, pointing at the dragon.

Eret opened his mouth to say something before he was cut off by someone grabbing Hiccup from above. You stared over in shock as you ran over to the side of the boat watching as Snotlout and some of the others whisked away Hiccup. You crossed your arms, did they even recognize that you were here? The wing of a dragon cut the sail. Flinging the boat to the side. Eret quickly ran towards the side of the boat where you were and Toothless climbed up to the top of the sail to try and save his rider before he stopped recognizing who it was. Eret aimed at the other dragons before shooting a net at them.

He was about to shoot again, at Hiccup this time but you pushed him out of the way, "Hold your fire!" You yelled as Hiccup quickly pushed himself out of Hookfang's grip and used his makeshift wings to fly back to the ship. He grabbed onto the sail, sliding down back onto the ship. Toothless also jumped down to the ground.

"Um, what are you guys doing here?" Hiccup asked as Gobber landed on the ship.

✵ ✵ ✵