『 Chapter 29: Family Ties 』

✵ ✵ ✵

Suddenly a flapping of wings was heard and a dragon flew up from behind the rocks and dropped Rainsong and Toothless in front of the two of you. Your eyes widened before you quickly ran over to your dragon. She stood up and shook herself off, water flinging into you. You wrapped your arms around her and hugged her tightly. Hiccup repeated your actions with Toothless, softly reassuring that he was okay.

"You really had me worried there." Hiccup said before getting licked by Toothless, the black dragon then turned towards you and licked you too as if thanking you.

You heard a rattle and all the dragons began lighting up flames in their mouths, giving a light source to the group of you. Hiccup grabbed your hand and pulled you close, Toothless and Rainsong growled before stepping in front of the two of you to protect you. The person in the mask stood up and slowly walked towards you both, they set down their shield and staff before crawling forward low to the ground.

Toothless and Rainsong let out growls before the person reached out their hand and waved it in front of their faces which caused the two dragon's pupils to dilate and they rolled over on the ground. The person stroked Toothless's scales before standing up and turning towards Hiccup. The boy pulled you behind him in a last attempt to keep you safe. The person with the mask tilted their head slightly at Hiccup's attempt and then reached out towards his face.

He leaned back against you, turning his head away from their hand, "Uh, uh..." He said, unsure why this strange person was trying to touch his face.

A gasp came from within the mask, the person quickly retracted their hand and moved back slowly making a soft sound, "Oh..." They said before pausing and looking up shocked at the boy, "Hiccup?" They said, their voice was high-pitched and feminine, you assumed that they were a woman. How would someone out here know who Hiccup was?

"Uh..." Hiccup said softly, probably wondering the same thing you were.

The woman took off her mask, revealing a very familiar-looking person, "C-could it be." Hiccup's grip on your hand tightened even more, "After all these years?" The woman finally stood up and looked at Hiccup before asking, "How is this possible?"

"Uh, should I... Should I know you?" He asked.

The woman who was once smiling quickly looked dishearted, "No... you were only a babe." She spoke softly, her voice filled with a deep sadness. Then she looked back up at Hiccup, "But a mother... never forgets." Hiccup's eyes widened and he gasped. You were also shocked at the fact that HICCUP'S FREAKING MOTHER WAS STANDING IN FRONT OF YOU. You were shocked, and frightened, what if she didn't like you?

Hiccup was about to say something else when the woman shushed him, "Come." She breathed, gesturing for the two of you to follow her.

✵ ✵ ✵

"Uh, h-hold on. Wait just a minute!" Hiccup called, chasing after the woman, his hand still intertwined with yours.

The woman jumped up a bunch of rocks, "This way! Come!" She called.

"Come back!" Hiccup exclaimed, "You can't just say something like that and run off!" The two of you ran around a curve, "You're my mother?! I mean, what the...? Do you- do you know how insane that sounds?" He asked, ducking under a rock. You looked back and spotted the two dragons following close behind.

The woman climbed up another rock formation, "Come quickly!"

"I have questions!" Hiccup called before letting go of your hand and climbing up the rock and then turning to pull you up behind him, "Where have you been all this time? What-what have you been doing? They said you were dead?" He looked back to make sure you were keeping up before turning and facing forward again, "Everyone thinks you were eaten by..." He paused stepping out of the dark cave and seeing the large opening ahead of him. A large pillar of ice stuck through the middle of the cave, it was covered in moss and dragons were flying around it in large circles.

You looked to your left and spotted several baby Gronckles. You then looked up to the right and spotted the woman and her dragon on the wall. You let out a gasp, bringing your hand to your chest frightened before calming down. Hiccup followed your gaze and looked up at the woman.

"This is where you've been for 20 years?" He asked. The woman nodded, a small smile on her face, "You- you've been rescuing them." She nodded once more, "Unbelievable." Hiccup breathed. You glanced over seeing a baby Gronckle prodding at your feet. You reached down and picked it up.

The baby cuddled into your arms before letting out a small sneeze. You awed before stroking the scales on its back.

"You're not upset?" The woman asked, shocking both you and Hiccup.

"What? No, I-I don't know. I... It's a bit much to get my head around, to be frank. It's not every day you find out your mother is some kind of crazy, feral, vigilante, dragon lady." You let out a soft chuckle, which was copied by the small dragon in your arms.

The woman chuckled before lightly placing the end of her hook on her dragon's talon and it slowly let her down, "Well... at least I'm not boring, right?"

A dragon walked over to Hiccup and began nudging his shoulder, demanding to be pet, "Well I suppose there is that... one specific thing."Hiccup lightly stroked the nose of the dragon.

"D- do you like it?" She asked, you quickly notice similarities between them, both of them were slightly nervous people.

Hiccup stammered, "I...I... I don't have the words." You glanced over and spotted some dragons sniffing Toothless in places he wished they didn't. He let out a growl, hissing at them to go away.

The dragons fled quickly, causing the woman to laugh, "Can I?" She asked, gesturing towards Toothless. Hiccup shrugged.

"Oh, he's beautiful..." She reached her hand out for him to sniff, before stroking his nose, "Oh, incredible! He might very well be the last of his kind." She scratched his back, "Oh, and look!" She counted his ear plates, "He's your age!"

Hiccup smiled, "Wow."

"No wonder you get along so well." She said, Toothless opened his mouth as if he was talking to her, "Oh, yeah? Yeah?" She responded as his teeth retracted, "Oh! And retractable teeth!" She carefully looked into his mouth, "How did you manage?"

"I found him in the woods... he was shot down and wounded." Hiccup said, you turned to look at him, he wasn't going to tell her. She frowned before turning towards you and Rainsong.

"Oh my!" She said. Her voice surprised you.

✵ ✵ ✵