『 Chapter 30: The Story of A Mother 』

✵ ✵ ✵

"She's beautiful!" The woman explained, rushing over towards Rainsong. The woman carefully put her hand out, extending it towards the Silver Phantom, "I've never seen a Silver Phantom this silver! Most have blue and white hues but this one..." She lifted the dragon's head slightly, noticing the large scar on her neck, "Ah-" She then tilted Rainsong's head downwards and turned towards you, "You and she must have quite the strong bond." The woman then lightly grabbed one of Rainsong's wings and pulled it outwards, "And the wingspan! It's quite large for the age she is, and she is very healthy!"

You opened your mouth to say something before hesitating, Hiccup gave you a little nudge to encourage you to speak up, "H-how old is she?" You finally said this was something you had been wondering since Snogletog a few years ago. The woman smiled at you before counting the silver bands on her wings.

"Twenty-nine!" The woman smiled.

You chuckled, turning towards Riversong, who sent you an eye-roll.

Hiccup's mom then looked up at you, she rushed towards you and studied your face, "You have very beautiful features."

You heard Hiccup let out a small yeah, causing his mother to chuckle.

"I can see why he likes you, "She said, poking and prodding at your face before taking a quick step back, "You are quite symmetrical." She then leaned forward again and touched your hair, "Soft." She said quietly before looking into your eyes, "You must be from the (L/N) clan." She said, pulling away from you.

"How did you know?" You asked, wondering if she knew your parents.

The woman sent you a small smile, "You have your mother's eyes." Your eyes widened when she said that, "And you have your father's personality," It had been so long since you had seen your father, you wondered if she knew he was dead.

The woman then looked at the ground with a sad expression on her face and turned towards one of the dragons near the group of you.

"This Snaffelfang lost his leg to one of Drago Bludvist's iron traps." Hiccup's mom said before turning towards a different dragon, "This Raincutter had her wing sliced by razor netting." She lifted the wing of the dragon with her staff before turning towards a different dragon, "And this, oh, poor Hobblegrunt was blinded by a tree snare." She carefully reached out so the dragon could sniff her hand before it leaned in and cuddle her, changing to a light green color, "It was left to die alone and scared."

Hiccup looked around nervously as his mother pointed towards Toothless's tail and then Rainsong's neck, "And what of this?" She asked, leaning down and picking up the prosthetic tail.

You frowned, "It was back before Hiccup changed my mind about dragons. After what happened to my father..." You paused, "Well I was angry, unfortunately, I took my anger out on her." Hiccup nodded, "Thankfully seeing him with Toothless kind of snapped me out of it." Rainsong stepped up to you and nudged your arm before tucking her head under it, "She hated me at first, but... once I apologized, I think she started to realize that I meant her no more harm." You couldn't tell if the woman was angry, but she quickly turned towards Toothless's tail.

You and Hiccup shared a look before Hiccup started laughing nervously, "Well, crazy thing is... I'm actually the one who shot him down." Toothless leaned over and sniffed Hiccup's hand before the boy stroked his head, "Hey, it- it's okay, though. He got me back." Hiccup gestured to his prosthetic leg, "Right, but? You couldn't save all of me, could you?" Hiccup asked lightly grabbing the dragon and shaking him back and forth, "You just had to make it even... so peg leg." Hiccup said, gesturing towards his left leg.

Toothless then crawled under Hiccup and picked him up tossing him on his back. Hiccup scratched under Toothless's neck earning a chuckle from the woman.

"What did your father think of your Night Fury friend?" She put her hand out and started petting Toothless once more.

Hiccup shook his head, "Oh, he- he didn't take it all that well. But then... he changed." She looked up at him shocked, "They all did! Pretty soon, everyone back home had dragons of their own."

She looked over at you and snickered, "If only it were possible." She stated before petting Toothless again.

You smiled, "No, really."

She cut you off, "Believe me, I tried as well." The woman said, turning and picking up her staff, "People are not capable of change, Hiccup. Some of us... we're just born different." Hiccup shook his head, turning to you.

"(Y/N) can attest to the opposite." He said, causing you to send him a small smile.

"Berk was a land of kill or be killed," She explained, "but I believed peace was possible. It was a very unpopular opinion." She looked over at Hiccup, sadness in her eyes, "Then one night a dragon broke into our house, finding you in the cradle. I rushed to protect you. But what I saw was proof of everything I believed." She gestured over to the dragon behind her, "This wasn't a vicious beast, but an intelligent, gentle creature, whose soul reflected my own."

You glanced over at Hiccup, remembering the day when he said he saw himself in Toothless's eyes.

"You and your Father nearly died that night." She turned away from the boy, "All because I couldn't kill a dragon."

Hiccup chuckled, "Eh, it runs in the family."

"It broke my heart to stay away, but I believed you'd be safer if I did." She explained.

You decided to speak up, "How did you survive?" You were genuinely wondering why she was alive when everyone thought she was dead.

"Oh, Cloudjumper never meant to harm me." She walked forward, followed by you, Hiccup, and the other dragons, "He must have thought I belonged here in the home of the great Bewilderbeast." You looked over the edge of the cliff and saw a gigantic dragon, bigger than you had ever seen before. It was sleeping peacefully in the water, "The alpha species. One of the very few that still exist." The giant calmly turned his head, "Every nest has its queen, but this- this is the King of all dragons." She pointed up to the roof of the ice cave with her staff, "With his icy breath, this graceful giant built our nest, a safe haven for dragons everywhere."

Your jaw dropped, "Wait, that's the ice-spitter?"

"He's responsible for all that destruction?" Hiccup finished your question.

She nodded, "He protects us. We all live under his care and his command." She chuckled as a few baby dragons surrounded Toothless, "All but the babies of course..." Cloudjumper quickly scared them off, "...who listen to know one." The babies then flew over to the Bewilderbeast and flapped around his head.

He then slowly lifted his head and turned towards the group of you, Hiccup's mom quickly bowed before followed by Toothless, who seemed very to bow out of respect, "I've lived among them for 20 years Hiccup, discovering their secrets." She said.

The dragon was even bigger up close, he then let out an icy breath covering both you and Hiccup in frost.

The woman laughed, "Ha, ha! He likes you two."

"Wow." Hiccup breathed.

The woman then slowly walked over towards Cloudjumper, "You two must be hungry." Hiccup shrugged nodding while you agreed.

"Uh, yeah, I could eat." Said Hiccup.

She smiled, "Good! It's feeding time." Then she grabbed both you and Hiccup's arms and pulled you away from the Bewilderbeast.

✵ ✵ ✵