Chapter 6 ~ Date

Mayella

I'm sitting in the living room fidgeting with my phone waiting for Max to arrive. Funny thing, it's Saturday, meaning that Reece and them are coming over for dinner, but I won't be here. Which doesn't sit right with me.

They should be coming any minute, that's why I'm praying that Max shows up before them. I just don't want to bump into Reece and have it be awkward. Even though he has a girlfriend himself, it shouldn't be awkward.

Just as I'm thinking the doorbell rings. I get up and fix my hair, opening the door while smiling. My smile drops though when I see five familiar faces. "You seem happy to see us." Uncle Eli playfully rolls his eyes but hugs me.

"Why are you dressed so nicely?" He asks and Fay nudges him giving him a look to which he responds with a long 'ohh' "Sad you won't be here for game night, don't worry, I will save you stuff." He pats me and walks over to the couch and sits down.

I then hug Fay next and Reece just stands behind everyone. I smile at the twins as they give me a hug. They are not that much younger. They were born when I was seven. "You look pretty Ellie." Rory says as she plays with my dress.

"Thank you Rory!" I say and she walks past me to go sit with Fay. "Where are you going?" Greyson asks me and I smile. "Just somewhere with a friend."

"Is this friend a guy?" I roll my eyes. "Can I come? I'm a guy too." I laugh and throw my head back. "I'm sorry, but this friend thing is more like a date thing." I bend down to reach his eye level which isn't very far considering he is already almost the same height as me. Its Elias genes.

"Then can we go on a date?" I'm about to respond when Reece smacks his head playfully and tells him to go inside. I laugh as Greyson walks past me giving me a grin.

"Sorry about him, he's growing up and learning all about females." He sighs but nonetheless I let out a laugh. I soon drop my laugh when I realize Reece is the one talking to me.

"It's okay, he's too cute for his own good." I say and Reece nods. We stand here awkwardly for a while. This is the most we have ever talked to each other in the past couple months and looked at each other.

I'm about to welcome him in when a figure approaches from behind him. Max is standing there wearing a nice white tee with blue jeans. He gives me a smile.

I smile back and look at Reece. He is eyeing Max down or something like that. Nonetheless, it scares me. "Are you all ready to go? You look beautiful." Max says and I nod, blushing. My dad comes up behind me and starts talking to Max.

Me and Reece are now staring at each other. I move aside indicating for him to go in which he does. He goes and sits on the couch next to Elias.

I sigh but then look at Max and grab his hand. "We will be back!" I yelled and ran to his car. We get in laughing as he turns on the radio. "Ready?" I don't, letting him take me wherever he wants.

🎀

"So how long have you been doing football?" I ask as I shove another macaroon in my mouth. He took me to a local picnic spot and had all kinds of foods from France. I have never been but I would love to see where my aunt grew up. I had told Max that it interest me.

"I have been doing it since sixth grade. My dad played football." I nod and take a sip of my sparkling apple cider. This really is the perfect first date. "Thank you for all these foods I didn't even know existed." He chuckles now laying on his side, watching me eat.

"So do you know any French?" He asks and I nod. "I take French since you know, I want that to be my second language."

"Can you tell me some words?" He asks and I freeze. This is feeling like Deja vu. I remember a specific story of this exact moment.

Fay and Eli.

Of course.

He asked her the same thing on their first date. And look at them now. Is Max my Elias? Does this mean something to him?

I snap out of my trance and nod. I don't think I will go as far as Fay did. But it won't harm anyone to teach him a word or two.

"Can you say, 'mon cheri?'. I say as I make sure that my accent that I have been working on appears. He licks his lips as he tries to pronounce it. After a couple tries, he gets it. "What does it mean?" He asks and I smile. "It means honey."

He nods and smiles at me. "Your accent is beautiful, I don't know why you hide it." He sits back up. "Well, I grew up with my aunt and uncle speaking French to me."

"Can you say a whole sentence?" I know and try to come up with something. " j'apprécie vraiment cette date." I again make sure the whole accent is there. "What does that mean?"

"It means I'm really enjoying our date." I smile. "I am too." He says in a sort of whisper. I look at him and see he is biting his lip. I can't tell if he is leaning in but all I know is I am. I lean in closer until I feel a drop on my head.

I look up to see the skies are open and it's raining. I close my eyes, letting the rain hit my face as I look up. I don't know if Max thinks I'm crazy or not.

"We should probably go before we get soaked." I nod in agreement and we start picking up our things, heading to the car. He turns on the heater as we both try to warm up.

We look at each other and laugh as he drives me back home. This is the most fun I have had in a while. But I can't help but continue thinking of how he asked me the same thing Eli asked Fay on their first date.

Is it meant to be?

A/N

Uh girl no you're not meant to be...

I'm sorry guys but I have to build up that tension with Reece and Mayella but I promise they are end game.