『 Chapter 20: The Gift of The Night Fury P.2 』

✵ ✵ ✵

The two of you made your way over to Hiccup's house. You were slightly nervous about how this would go, what if Toothless didn't like it? Or worse what if he left? All these questions were racing in your head as you heard thudding on the roof of Hiccup's house. You looked up and saw Toothless pouncing on the roof causing tiles to fall.

"Toothless!" Hiccup called, "Come on down, bud!" Toothless's head shot up and he looked down at the two of you before bounding off the roof, "I've got something for you!" Hiccup said, holding out the prosthetic tail. The dragon sniffed Hiccup and then the tail, his eyes widened and his head started bobbing while he made some gurgling noises. When Hiccup tried to get to the dragon's tail Toothless turned around, making Hiccup chase it, "Would you just settle down?" Hiccup asked, slightly laughing, "Toothless, come on, bud! Let me get this on ya!" The dragon finally stopped moving and Hiccup kneeled, straddling Toothless's tail with his legs, "You are going to love this!"

Toothless turned to you and leaned forward, bobbing his head up and down and letting out some chittering noises. You nodded your head along with him, "Yeah? Oh yeah?" You chuckled, "Uh-huh!" The dragon nudged you slightly backward, causing you to slip on the ice. You stumbled but caught your balance back once more, "Toothless." You scolded sarcastically. The black dragon made a noise that sounded like laughing.

"Okay!" You heard Hiccup say.

Toothless turned to look back at the tail flap and tried to open it. When it didn't open first try he grew startled and started bouncing around, a little frightened of it. He swung his tail back and forth trying to get it off.

"No, no, no, no, no! Toothless, stop!" Hiccup called, reaching out for the dragon. With one final flick of the tail, it opened. Toothless froze and looked at the flap, his pupils dilating as he tilted his head.

He moved his tail, watching as the prosthetic adjusted to his movements. He opened and closed it once or twice before turning towards you and then Hiccup.

"There ya go." Hiccup said softly, "See? Got it?" Toothless's pupils shrunk down to needles before he sniffed a couple of times. Hiccup reached out for him, not noticing his odd behavior, "Toothless-" The dragon quickly pulled away from him before flying off. You and Hiccup stared off in the direction that he left in. Your jaw dropped. Hiccup and you shared a look before his eyebrows furrowed, sadness in his eyes.

You grabbed his hand and intertwined your fingers, rubbing your thumb over his to try and comfort him.

✵ ✵ ✵

Looking out at the open ocean you thought about when the dragons would come back, "Where are you Rain?" You asked, kicking your legs. One thing that brought you comfort was staring at the sunrise, so this morning you were sitting on one of the village cliffs and looking in the direction that your dragon had gone. You heard a grunt from behind you and turned around, Hiccup was walking past carrying four, large, boat oars.

Quickly, you stood up and ran over to him, "Need any help?" You asked, folding your arms behind your back and leaning forwards so you were in his view.

He looked up at you, his eyebrows raised slightly, and nodded, "A little help would be nice." He said. You smiled at him before unfolding your arms and grabbing two of the oars and tossing them onto your shoulder so they were easier to carry. You two walked slowly down to the docks, making conversation as you walked. As soon as you both turned the corner, Hiccup bumped right into Fishlegs.

The blonde boy's eyes widened quickly and he looked down at the basket of fish he was carrying then back at the both of you. You squinted at his suspicious behavior.