Chapter 8 ~ Rescue

Reece

"Dude, what is wrong with you?" My teammate Dustin groans in anger as I miss the puck. Practice has not been going well for me for a couple days. My mind was somewhere else. Far away from hockey.

Its never ending, I come to school only to be tortured by Bree's presence, and on top of that, Mayella and her little football boyfriend, have been acting all couplie. Now they're not a couple, I know that much. I mean it's all her and my mom talk about on game nights.

I know they are dating, not boyfriend and girlfriend which are two totally different things. Dating is just going on dates and getting to know someone with the freedom to explore other people too. Boyfriend and girlfriend means they are only dating each other.

I hate to say that me and Bree are boyfriend and girlfriend. I think I'm going to talk to my dad, and tell him everything, just to get his advice. Maybe it will help the situation.

Before I know it, Hockey practice is over for the day and I'm on my way home. I didn't take my car today since I thought today was a good day to walk a bit.

I'm regretting it since football practice and hockey practice end at the same time. Meaning I get to see captain Max flush over Mayella when he sees her waiting for him.

It's gross. Or maybe it's just gross because she's with him. And not me. Because I can guarantee that I would also be all over her like that.

Curse Bree.

I open the door to our house and see the twins and dad are on the table doing homework. Dad sees me walk in and smiles. "Hey bud, how was your day?" I shrug my shoulders. I go to the kitchen and grab a snack, realizing mom is not here.

"Where's mom?" I ask and wait for my dad's response by grabbing an apple. "She went to Seattle for the weekend with Abb's. Just to see how her store was running.

My mom had opened her store to the Seattle people. She had people there working for her while she was here. She would go back once a month and see how everything is going and to take in a breath of the Seattle air.

I know she misses that place. Ever since they moved here, dad had to remind her that there were more things here for her to explore.

"Alright, I will be in my room." Dad gives me a thumbs up as I walk to my room. I sit on my bed, thinking about what I have been thinking about for the past couple days.

Mayella.

I can't get this woman out of my head and it hurts.

I forgot I was going to ask dad for advice, but he seems busy so I will leave him to be. I sigh and get up from my bed, putting a sweater on as I head downstairs and out the door. I need air.

Especially a milkshake for the diner.

It's not that far down the road so I just walk there. I try to think about hockey and how well I'm doing and that if I keep up the good work, I will be able to get a scholarship for college. I applied for many colleges, specifically Seattle. It seems every single one of us wants to go there and live out of our parents' lives.

I mean, Willow made it, Mayella I'm sure has applied, and me as well. I won't lie, it's a great college and got my mom very far. After she retired from being a professor, she opened her store.

I reach the diner in a matter of minutes and open the door to get a sniff of greasy fries and burgers. I smile at the smell.

I go up to the barstool and order a vanilla milkshake and a bucket of fries. I find a seat next to the window and watch as the cars go by and the people walk down the street.

The diner is almost empty except for a few spots. One spot catches my attention. Mayella is doing her homework while drinking a soda and eating some curly fries. I smile at her while she looks bothered and keeps doing her work.

I'm surprised she is here alone, I know how much she hates going to places alone. She would always bug me and ask me to go with her everywhere. And of course, I would go.

My order comes to my table as I sip on my milkshake and eat my fries. I watch Mayella carefully and make myself go unnoticed.

I sit here for a while until the bell chimes. In comes a bunch of older guys, maybe around the age of twenty-two. Somewhere in their twenties.

They go find a table to sit as a waitress gets their order. Mayella is still doing her work, not even paying attention to the world around her.

The guys are talking fairly loud, I'm surprised Mayella hasn't looked up. I finish my food but don't feel like getting up yet so I sit here for a while pretending to be on my phone. I get distracted because the next time I look up, those three guys are making their way to Mayella.

They sit in the same booth across from her. She finally looks up, taking off her glasses and grabbing her things closer. I haven't made my move yet.

"What's a pretty girl like you do here? I bet she's young, she looks too young to be over twenty." One of the men says. I see Mayella tense up a bit as she doesn't say anything. "Well? Aren't you going to talk?" The other guy asks and takes a handful of her fries and shoves them into his mouth.

"I'm just going to go." She says, holding all of her things in her hands as she goes to get up. One guy grabs her arm which makes her fall to the floor and drop her things. The guys laugh as they storm out of the diner due to a staff member yelling at them.

I see Mayella is trying to pick up her things while shaking a bit. I look at my phone, then up again. I make my way to her since she is still seated on the floor.

I grab her books and pull her arm up gently. She makes eye contact with me as I smile. I wrap her arm around my waist as I walk her out.

"I'm sorry I didn't do anything in time." I say, we are still walking. She shakes her head, "No it's fine, I should have known better than to be out."

"You shouldn't have to worry though, you should be able to do what you please without being harassed." I snapped at her.

She sniffles and I look down to see her crying. I stop in my tracks and let her sob. I don't really want Cole finding out right now, so I wait for her to be done.

I'm still holding her books. "Gosh I'm sorry, I'm an idiot." She mutters trying to take her books back but I bring them to my chest. I brought her to me as well. I hug her around her neck.

I can't move, my body loves this contact. Hugging her. Seconds later my body jolts as she wraps her arms around me too.

"I'm so sorry Mayella, for everything, gosh I wish to take it all back." I whisper mostly to myself. "I forgive you Reece, after all you're my best friend, you never stopped. Not to me at least." She pulls away and looks me in my eye.

"Not to me either, I swear by that. I promise you, everything is going to go back to normal soon." I say and she nods. "I trust you, Reecy." I smile at her as she grabs her books and walks away from me.

That was such a process in a short amount of time. I'm going to keep my promise.

A/N

I KNOW THIS IS ONLY CHAPTER SEVEN AND THEY ARE ALREADY MAKING UP, BUT I SWEAR ITS GOING TO GET MESSY.