chapter 4 (aka shook ones pt.II)

word count: 3439 words

The night of the carnival, Eleanor Daley had one job: stay away from the Jacobs chili stand

The night of the carnival, Eleanor Daley had one job: stay away from the Jacobs chili stand. But unfortunately, that wasn't exactly what happened.

I knew that Jules was meeting with 'Tyler' the night of the carnival, and I was so fucking against it.

Jules was sticking with the plan though, regardless of what I said. And, as always, the event full of teenagers and drugs shockingly didn't end well. Who could've fucking guessed?

Eleanor sat at her vanity, carefully applying her mascara while Nate sat and watched in the corner of her pink bedroom. "How long do you need?" he asked, checking his phone for the time.

"We have to leave at 6," he continued and began tapping his finger impatiently on the arm of the chair he was sitting in. "Can I have, like, 15 more minutes?" Eleanor asked, as she began to glue two pink gems on the corners of her eyes. Nate grunted yes, and turned back to his phone.

Now, every time that Nate was on his phone, Eleanor felt sick. She closed her eyes slowly, exhaling before staring back at herself.

Her blond hair was falling in loose waves, framing her face, and she forced herself to smile. The tension in her heart left it aching, so she distracted herself by straightening the dress she was wearing.

"Ready?" Nate asked, as she pulled on her pink kitten heels. She nodded, and he grabbed her hand. "Lets go," he said, pulling her through the doorway.

They passed Ethan's room as they made their way down the stairs, and her twin gave Eleanor an annoyed look when he saw Nate. She just rolled her eyes, before descending down the stairs hand in hand with Nate.

✧✧✧

"Don't get into trouble," Nate reminded her for the seventeenth time that car ride, and Eleanor smiled reassuringly. "I would never," she replied, patting the hand that was gripping her thigh.

Nate always held her while he drove, though Eleanor wasn't sure if it was an affectionate 'I want to keep you safe,' or if it was to show everyone that she was his.

Regardless, it always happened, and it was comforting to Eleanor. She glanced out the window, and smiled in delight when she saw the glowing Ferris wheel in the distance.

"There's a Ferris wheel!" she exclaimed excitedly, and Nate nodded. "There's one every year, Elle," he replied, but even his attempt to bring her down wasn't working.

"Will you ride with me? Just once?" Eleanor begged, turning her attention back to Nate as he sighed.

"I'm busy with the booth," he said shortly, and she pouted. "Please? It'll only take a second," she continued, which made Nate huff again.