Gabe's Great Beginning

There were perks in being among the smartest in class, one of them being that Peter can come home earlier without suffering academically. Of course, he doesn't abuse this power often, only when he needs to. Luckily today was one of those days because it was Tony's birthday! Normally the genius wasn't particularly fond of celebrating his birthday, but with a tower full of children, it's unavoidable once they know when it is.

While he was at school, Bucky and Scott found the perfect cake recipe for them to make today. He knows they're an unlikely duo, but they were both skilled in this area. Bucky because he used to cook and bake for his sister when their parents weren't home, and Scott because he used to volunteer at the bakery (somehow??) And has been baking cakes for his daughter for years now.

While the cake was being made, the others helped decorate every inch of the penthouse. Including the vents, apparently, considering how long Clint's been up there. Soon after, the entire floor was colorful with streamers, confetti, and other decorations. Finally, with the last drop of icing on the "Happy Birthday, Stark!" Cake, it was ready.

Looking at it all together made them all agree, that today was truly a birthday fit for the best billionaire- who hopefully won't acknowledge that they used his money to make all this possible- friend, mentor, and superhero. Soon, he and the supersoldiers heard laughing a few floors down, so they dimmed the lights and scattered to hide.

When the elevator doors opened with the signature custom ding, everyone jumped out and shouted Happy Birthday collectively. It took a second for Tony to smile, but it was bright and lovely when he did. Weirdly enough, they couldn't be bothered to focus on that right now because there was a teenager just beside Tony, peering at the group of heroes with wide eyes.

Tony introduced him as Gabriel, and after Clint mentioned that that was also the name of an angel, they all began to see the angelic characteristics in the boy. His skin was pale ivory; his hair a soft fluffy blonde; and his eyes were a beautiful shade of blue. He was tall, and he was decently well-built for a teenager, much like Peter. They were immediately entranced by him, he was funny and confident, but shy and excited all at the same time somehow.

Among everyone who liked him, Peter was just as entranced. Gabe was funny and confident, and he liked that about him. The team started to greet themselves, and Gabe politely fan-boyed at them. When it was his turn, however, he was met with a distasteful look and a back-handed comment about how he didn't know him.

Maybe he interpreted it ruder than it actually was, because nobody else seemed to notice. Though no matter how much he let it slide, it seemed Gabe didn't really like him no matter what he said or did. He casually sliced the cake he had baked without a word, and Peter worried there wasn't going to be enough for them all since he baked just enough.

While everyone but Peter enjoyed the cake, Bucky questioned them how they met, and the answer almost pained Peter to hear.

"Oh, well he's my new assistant," He was supposed to be Tony's assistant, and though it was just an excuse for the public at first, he became really attached to the role. Of course, it'd be fine it that was all, but Tony formally made him his assistant a while ago.

No, he couldn't think that. Tony probably just hired a new assistand to help out. "Oh cool, so you're going to be working with us in the lab? I'm excited to start working with you," Peter smiled.

Gabe shot Tony a confused look, only to get one just as confused mirroring his own. "Peter, you know you're not a real assistant, right?" The room could clearly see that stung Peter a lot, but he just smiled awkwardly.

"Oh- but last week, you said-- yeah, sorry, nevermind," he shook his head, before he promptly sunk back into the sofa.

Besides him was Clint, who signed him a quick "you okay?" Which he nodded to and left without a word.

Nobody seemed to notice, however, nobody but Clint and Scott, who both set their plates down and followed him.

"Hey buddy," Clint called, knocking on the locked wooden door.

"Can we come in?" Just as he sighed, looking at Scott, they could hear the door click. When they came in, they watched Peter sulk back to his bed. He crossed his arms under the pillow and buried his head into said fluffy pillow.

"He told me I was his assistant just three weeks ago. I can't believe he forgot." Clint sighed, looking at Scott silently.

"Well guess what? There's a bright side to this." Peter groaned, burying his head into his pillow.

"What is it?" He asked tiredly, just playing along so they'd leave sooner, though he wasn't sure if he wanted them to go.

"If you're not Stark's lame assistant, you get to have more time with us! The cool dads," Peter smiled softly, lifting his head up from the pillow to show his smile.

"Besides, it's not like he could replace you or anything. He probably doesn't even know the difference between a CPU and a processor." Clint said, putting a hand on his shoulder and rubbing comfortingly.

"I know you're just trying to cheer me up, but those are the same things." Scott laughed at his attempt to help, and it seemed to be contagious since Peter soon laughed along.

"So you know that! See, you're a smart kid. Don't be so worried when there's nothing to be worried about. Scott and I will hype you up, let's just get back and enjoy the party." Peter smiled weakly, nodding. With the help of Clint, Peter got up and and walked with them outside. Scott's arm was slung over his shoulders, and it made him slump over a little bit.

Even though it was Tony's party, people who didn't know any better would've assumed it was Gabe's. He was the center of attention, and Peter didn't actually mind that part. He's been living in the background most of his life, so the shadows acted as a safety blanket. He listened carefully as Gabe explained his hobbies, he had mentioned that he enjoyed baking, and that he's actually really good.

"Oh man, I wish you could've made me a birthday cake instead of this store-bought crap." The room fell into silence, it seemed that everyone but him and Gabe knew Peter baked that cake since morning.

"What?" Tony asked cluelessly. "It's nothing Mr. Stark! Sorry, I'll try to find something better than the store-bought crap. I-I'll buy you a new one." Peter sighed, akwardly laughing to himself and trying his best to ignore the empathetic stares.

"Guys, it's okay. It's my fault, really, the place I got it from really just isn't that good." He assured, tapping his web-slinger to let his suit envelop him just before he jumped out the window to get a new cake. "You just messed up, Stark. Even if it was store-bought, you didn't have to say that. But no, you just had to piss on it. You know he baked that?" Tony's mouth fell open, and he looked down at the cake he was eating, baked with care and love. "I didn't know.."

Minutes later, Peter came back with a box of Iron-man themed cupcakes. "I.. I'm sorry, I searched everywhere but nothing was good enough. I didn't want to make you wait, so i took the most expensive ones they had." For once, Tony didn't know what to say to the rambling teen. He was on the verge of tears, and his voice cracked the more he talked. "I'm gonna freshen up for a second, okay? Don't worry, you guys have fun without me," He walked to his room quickly and dialed Ned's number.

With his mask off, he let a few stray tears fall as he leaned onto the wall of his room, just before he sunk to his knees. "Hey, Ned, I'm sorry, I don't think we can afford the carousel set," He said, voice choking on the words. "It's limited edition though!" Ned said, clear dissapointmemt in his voice. "I know, I'm sorry,," he said, brushing through his hair with his hands. "It's fine, we'll get something else next time. I know you probably used the money for something important."

He smiled sadly, muttering a thanks before he hung up and stood back up. When he came back, it was like he had never left, except Steve and Bucky were just as empathetic as Clint and Scott for some reason. Bucky handed him a cupcake, a mistaken spider-man cupcake that somehow made it's way in with the rest. Peter thanked him, sinking back into the sofa and letting the party go it's way without him.