Crazily, Madly, Unnaturally

She put the pen down and stared at the blank paper in front of her. This was going nowhere. She'd been suffering from the writers' block for the past two weeks. Her producer was getting restless. He needed some new material to record. It had been almost two years since the last album. Even the fans were beginning to move on, and the committed ones were finding it very hard to hang on. It bothered Marley too, but lately she found it impossible to pour her feelings out on paper. Maybe it was because the reason for her feelings had left.

The break up happened three weeks ago, over a Skype call. Tyson was on tour. On the road, he bumped into an old flame, and the candled rekindled. Marley knew why he'd done it, why he'd left her for the other girl. She was the one that got away. They ended their relationship too early, and wanted to try again. In fact, Marley was the one who told him to chase his dreams. She just didn't realise that him chasing his dreams came at the cost of her heartbreak.

She picked up the pen again and clicked it. She put it to the paper and began writing.

It's been two weeks and I'm still hurting

They say scars fade but mine are too deep

She grumbled and struck the lines out. She tried again.

Love's a mystery I'll never understand

But as you held my heart in your hand

I held my breath praying you wouldn't crush it

She crumpled up the paper and flung it across the room. This wasn't going to work. Every time she wrote something, his image flashed across her mind. Most artists use heartbreak to form their core story, but for her it was different. It hurt way too much to make something beautiful and poetic out of it.

Marley didn't realise she'd been crying until a tear hit the table. She hurriedly wiped her cheeks. She felt stupid for crying over a man who probably didn't even think about her. She walked to other end of the room and picked up the crumbled piece of paper. She flattened it out on her desk and began to write again. She was going to make this work.

She looked at the words she'd written. They were cheesy, but she wanted to continue with them.

I know my wall was built to high to climb

But you took it down brick by brick

And let me open up to you

The words didn't rhyme, but she could finally see the song going somewhere. She'd deal with the problem later.

Cupid and his cruel kindness

He couldn't have aimed any better

'Cause with you even the bitterness

Of coffee tastes much sweeter

A small smile creeped up her cheeks. Those were Tyson's words. He hated coffee, but every time she made it, he'd look her in the eyes and say, "You make the bitterness go away, and the coffee tastes sweeter." It probably tasted sweeter because she used at least four spoons of sugar per cup, yet her heart would skip a beat.

I've been wasting my time thinking 'bout you

I don't sleep 'cause I'm afraid I'll dream about you

I miss you more than anything

It was true; he was the only thing on his mind. She spent her sleepless nights crying about him. And she did miss him more than anything.

All I want is to see you again

All I need is to feel you again

I miss you more than anything

Her hands shook. All the memories were rushing in. She knew that by the end of this she would be in tears. She took a deep breath and willed herself to continue.

But that's only because I'm

Crazily, Madly, Unnaturally

In love with you

Crazily, madly, unnaturally. Those were the words she'd used when she told him that she loved him for the first time. They were standing in the pouring rain and yelling at each other, when it happened. Tyson asked her why she cared so much about his life so much, and Marley replied with a very blunt, "Because I'm crazily, madly, unnaturally in love with you. Always have, and always will be." What bloomed after was the start of something new. They thought they were each other's forever.

So I guess now everything's gone

They tell me it's time to move on

But even in the silence I can hear you scream

Asking me to hold on to the memories

The memories. They were all she had left. The touch of his hands, the taste of his lips, the rhythm of his heart beat, they were nothing but distant memories now. How she longed to just be with him again! She'd been holding on to every bit of him, trying desperately not to forget.

I don't want to forget

But I think it's for the best

It's time to let memories fade

All the lovely ones we made

Yet all day long

Marley was instantly reminded of their first time. It was a cold winter night. Tyson had come over and the two were eating Chinese takeout and binge-watching Netflix. All of a sudden, the lights went out. That resulted in a passionate night between two lovers. It was an experience like never before, for both of them. They believed that they'd never experience anything even remotely as intense with another person.

I hope you're happy with her

I hope she makes you feel like I did

I hope she treats you well

I hope she loves you like I do

She knew that Tyson was happy now, but it wasn't because of her. It was because of someone else. Someone he'd promise to love forever too.

I'm completely broken inside

While you're with the woman you love

I know I always told you to chase your dreams

But I never realised the price would be my heart

Marley broke down. That was the last straw. Her heart was beyond broken. It was irreparable. She blamed herself for her condition, even though she knew it wasn't her fault. Words couldn't make sense of the things that went on in her twisted, little mind. She'd tried so hard to move on, but nothing ever seemed to work. If only she wasn't in love with him.

I'm crazily, madly, unnaturally in love with you.