•𝐙𝐞𝐫𝐨•

Pilot

Heavy, tired footsteps filled the small room. A obnoxiously loud flop closely followed by and equally loud groan overtook peaceful silence. The bed dipped as their face made contact with the pillow. Half of her body hung over the edge while they half heartedly screamed into the fabric.
The scream was quickly met with a response from another life source beside the bed. Down on the ground in a green tinted box came sharp, high pitched squeaks demanding to be acknowledged.

She pushed her upper body up. "I know Mushroom," they turned their head back. "I'm coming. Just give me a moment." She twisted so she sat on her butt, their legs still dangling.

When the squeaking continued, she hopped off the bed. They peered into the box, where a small Guinea Pig returned the eye contact. She squealed loudly, running circles as if it would summon the attention quicker. Reaching down they scooped Mushroom in their arms, petting her until she 'purred' with happiness.

"Alright," she shifted the tiny creature so she sat comfortably in her arms. "Ready to play something?" She didn't wait for an answer, and the Guinea Pig had no intention of actually giving one.

They carried her over to their desk, sitting cross legged in the chair. Mushroom nestled in between the bend of their knee.
She looked down at her tiny friend; deciding that if Guinea pigs could smile, that's what face Mushroom would be making right now.

She opened her laptop, and checked the side to make sure the keyboard was plugged in properly. She didn't feel like losing another game to a sudden disconnection. She gritted her teeth at the thought of it happening again.
But it would be okay this time. There would be absolutely, one hundred percent, no casualties.

"Not if I can help it. ." They muttered, waiting for their horribly slow laptop to load.

It took a while, as usual. But that was okay, because all that mattered was getting on some server, any server, to escape the rest of the world. She glanced down at Mushroom.

Except that part, that part can stay.

Todays winner, as decided by using the last restart method, was bed wars. She smiled; They'd played this game more times than she could count, they were basically a pro.

She hoped.

"I'll just play for an hour or two. ." She mumbled absentmindedly to herself.

Their lips tightened to a line, realizing all spaces for the 'solo server' were taken. She let out a frustrated breath of air. Mushroom flinched at that.
They'd have to play duos, then.

"Whatever works. Right, Mushroom?" The only response she got was a nose wriggle.

The lobby was full of players running around. They all waved, crouched, and jumped about. The chat was going a hundred miles per hour.

Type 123 if you want a boyfriend!

123

123!

123!123!123!!

They snorted.

I can't believe people still do this. .

She felt like she was back in middle school. In fact, not to long ago she would have been spamming those three numbers and hoping that person would have chosen her.
They cringed at that memory.

At last, they had gotten to play the game they waited oh so patiently for. Even if it was with another player.
But that was alright, the stranger hadn't absolutely sucked or weirded her out. What a score of a partner!
In fact, this person was incredibly good. She squinted her eyes at the screen. Almost too good.

LET'S GOOOOO

Their teammate typed in the chat. Another bed had been destroyed, presumably by said teammate. She couldn't help but smile. Having a partner that didn't do fuck all was actually pretty sweet.

Hell yeAa !

She excitedly typed back.

This went on for almost an hour; winning a round or two and losing one because of, in their opinion, the stupidest mistake ever.
She was prepared to do another round when a chat aimed at her popped up.

Do you wanna play something else??

She blinked at the words. They wanted to continue as a team, but with another game?
She shrugged as though the person on the other side of the screen could see.

Yea sure, why not :)

They leaned back in their chair, stretching their limbs. Curiosity nagged at her mind. This had never happened before; no one had ever asked to stay a team. She flexed her hands, getting them back into position.

"This could be interesting."

••••

Little boring, I know. But this wasn't meant to be super exciting, just meant to be an intro :)
Was not proof read btw, sorry for any mistakes