Chapter 9 ~ Beach

Mayella

"I trust you, Reecy." What was I even thinking, saying that to him? And I hugged him? The world is coming to an end people. Me and Reece. Hugged. He made me a promise. That I'm not even sure I should trust. But I said I did anyway.

I don't know what snapped in him. I don't know if he finally pulled that stick out of his butt but, it was weird. I felt uncomfortable. I never felt uncomfortable around Reece. Sure I felt weird not being his friend and not being with him 24/7, but it just felt super uncomfortable to talk to him, to touch him.

I didn't have those butterflies though, I just felt sick. Sick that after all he has done to me, I acted like I was the one holding out hope. That I was the one that didn't care what he did and that if he came to me and begged for forgiveness, I would go to him in an instant.

It didn't settle right with me. The fact that I did that. That I told him right then and there that I trust him, that I know that he will come back. I'm an idiot. Don't I want him to be the one running back to me, begging me for my trust?

I don't like it at all, his buddy-buddy act. It felt like a play. Like he was proving to himself that I was still the same young girl who had a crush on her best friend and that I will never be mad at him.

Sure I see myself forgiving him, but that doesn't mean it doesn't upset me. He was my best friend. I still want him to be. I just want him to do the work. To show me that he is sorry.

I guess he will have time to do that for my birthday hang out this weekend. Mom and dad are making me invite him and Bree to the beach with us. They think it will be a nice way to reconnect.

Me. At the beach. With Max, Amara, Bree, and Reece. Not a fun combo.

Obviously when my parents brought it up, they had no clue what really happened so that's why they think we just need to bond. I'm pretty sure they think I'm still not over Reece and Bree.

"I have something for you." I hear mom's voice coming from my door. I look up from my textbook to see she is holding a bikini that is a dark red. I smile at her, she looks so excited to finally put me in something scandalous.

I have never been one to wear showy things. I always wore a one piece and stuff that covers me up. This is also a first for me.

🎀

"Well this is exciting!" Amara says from next to me. Mom and dad just dropped me, her, and Max down by the beach. We were walking in the sand trying to find a nice place to lay our stuff while we waited for Reece and Bree.

Amara told me that Bree was acting all excited before she left but it wasn't very much convincing. Of course, I laughed at that because Bree is probably just excited to find some older boys here.

No offense to Reece, but ever since we were little, everywhere we went, Bree was always looking for those older guys.

"Hey guys, I'm going to go to the place around the corner and order us some sandwiches for lunch." Max says and we both nod. He leaves and me and Amara take a seat on the towle.

"So, any progress?" She asks and I sigh. After me and Reece had a little run down, I had to tell Amara everything. From events in third grade to now. She was shocked to say the least. She wasn't much surprised her sister had pulled something like that.

What surprised her was that Reece had given into her sister.

"Nope, nothing, I'm happy with Max, I'm happy avoiding Reece." I say and she gives me a look. "Maybe Reece was telling the truth?" I shake my head. "No, not with me anyways." She sighs once again and lays down on the towel. I take a book out and start to read where I left off.

It's been a good ten minutes since Max left so I wouldn't be surprised if Reece and Bree got here before him.

And as if I spawned them myself, they appear hand in hand. Bree is already in her tight swimsuit showing off to everyone as Reece holds all their things in his other hand. I look back down at my book. Maybe if they don't see us, they will leave.

"May!" I bang my head against my book and slam it shut getting Amaras attention. She sits up and sighs once she sees her sister.

"Happy birthday! Big 18!" She acts all excited. Reece puts their stuff away and sits down on a towel he laid down.

"Thanks for inviting us. Happy birthday." He looks at me and gives me a smile before putting on his sunglasses.

"Not like I had a choice." I mutter very quietly. Amara chuckles at my remark. "Hey wanna get a dip?" She asks and I nod. I stand up about to take my cover off when I suddenly feel panicked. I'm not wearing the tiniest, tightest swimwear ever, but it still shows skin.

"You alright?" Bree's voice rings in my ears. I suddenly get the confidence when I turn to her to see a smirk on her face that thinks she has won. I smirk as well, but bigger.

I lift my cover off and take off my sandals, not paying attention to anyone. I grab the sunscreen and put a coat on my body. I smile at Amara who is waiting for me. I grab her hand and we run to the ocean.

Not giving a frick about what anyone says.

I hope this confidence never fades.

🎀

A/N

Writers block is a pain but I hope this chapter is good!