Of Fire and Life

Phoenix Demons: Their Rarity, Abilities, And Why They are So Treasured

By Unknown

[THIS BOOK IS BANNED BY DEMON BORDER CONTROL. BE WARNED THAT POSSESSION OF THIS BOOK CAN LEAD TO JAIL TIME AND A MEMORY WIPE.]

Phoenix demons are, at their core, beings of life and fire. They are not born as all other demons are, though the reason for this is unknown. Perhaps it was dictated long ago, in the very beginning of all things, that beings of such power could not be allowed to grow too large in number. Whatever the reason, there has been an extremely small number ever born, and fewer than that have even survived long enough to find out about the Netherworld and reach it. That is, after all, where they truly belong.

They can be created in any world, but most commonly appear in the human realm. However, they cannot survive long into adulthood in any world but the one in which demons live. They are so intrinsically tied to the energy of whatever world they dwell in, that any but the Netherworld would have any hope of sustaining a phoenix demon for long. Not to mention that with the way they are created, the first to find them often hold no good will within them, and much less to a being they find strange or, in their minds, freakish. Due to this, phoenix demons often have the unfortunate fate of taking their last breath not too long after they take their first.

Now, you must be wondering at this point just how a phoenix demon is actually born, right? Well, it's actually quite simple to understand despite the being's rarity.

When the first light of dawn is the only other witness to the murder and last breaths of one who is truly innocent, a phoenix demon is born in a burst of flames. The energy of the creation saves the life of the innocent, and a babe is deposited in their arms. Though each phoenix demon looks different, they all have one thing in common. Feathered wings the color of flame that, unlike most demons, cannot be hidden away.

Unfortunately for us, although it's easy to understand the process, the simple fact is that there is good reason the phoenix demons are so rare. To realize why, you need to understand the timeline that must be strictly held to in order for one to be born. To start, there can be more than one person involved in the killing of the innocent, but each one must have equal part in the completion of the horrible act. The initial "act," if you will, can be done before dawn, but the last breath of the innocent must be taken the moment the first light of dawn reaches the victim. If the timeline is right, but the light cannot reach the victim, the demon will not be born. All this on top of the fact that, as time has gone on, people have become darker and far less innocent, which makes it clear just why there hasn't been a phoenix demon in the Netherworld in thousands of years. This is truly a pity, as phoenix demons are truly treasured by nearly every demon out there.

You may be curious as to why they are so treasured, seeing as nearly no one that is alive today has actually met one, but it's quite simple, really. Power and Prestige. Phoenix demons have many different abilities they are born with, but none more precious than their ability to create Empathic Links with those that they, through their Clairvoyance ability, have determined to be fitting members of their family. Some even say that these members of a phoenix's family are pre-determined by some sort of fate or destiny, but that is unknown to all, even the phoenix demons themselves, as they, according to what we know, just sense that these beings that they choose as their family will be extremely important to them regardless of if they claim them as family or not. The reason this ability is so precious is that, according to legend, each member of a phoenix's chosen family is meant for greatness in some way, and so it is viewed by all as a great honor to be chosen as a member of one. It's even been rumored that the Demon King Derkila was raised by a phoenix demon, though that has not been confirmed one way or the other.

In order for you to get a better understanding of this and all the other abilities a phoenix demon is born with, I've listed them and an explanation for each below.

Flame Manipulation: Putting it simply, the ability to manipulate flames. Phoenix demons, as beings of fire, can create and control even the hottest of flames. They can change them into different shapes, and even change the very nature of the flames they create, such as making it so the flames don't burn, and only emit a slight warmth even if you were to stick your hand directly into the center.

Fire Immunity: Phoenix demons are completely immune to even the hottest of flames. They can extend this power to anything they are touching, so long as they maintain constant contact.

Healing Flames: As opposed to the human legend of the tears of the phoenix having healing abilities, phoenix demons can create a light green flame that is able to heal even the most grievous of wounds. This ability takes a large amount of training, however, as the more serious the wound, the more energy it takes to heal. Phoenix demons can slowly but surely cut down on the amount of energy it takes by diligent training of the ability.

Phoenix Form: Phoenix demons have the ability to transform themselves completely into their phoenix form in a burst of flame.

Empathy: The ability to feel the true emotions and intentions that a being is feeling. With age, a phoenix demon can even develop the ability to feel emotional imprints left behind in an area where great emotion was felt, which gives them a form of retrocognition. When they are young, it is easy to hide one's true intentions from a phoenix demon, but with age and experience they are able to discern even the most hidden of emotions and intents.

Empathic Link: As phoenix demons are beings that don't have blood related family when they are first born, they can form a family of their own by creating emotional bonds between themselves and any number of other people. When they are young, these bonds are usually with people they will call father, mother, siblings, grandparents, and even aunts and uncles, but as they grow older, they can even claim children as well, whom they often call hatchlings. That bond does not replace any parental figure in the "hatchling's" life, but instead adds another one. Through these bonds, a phoenix demon can convey and feel emotions through great distance, allowing the phoenix to feel the emotional and even physical well-being of their family, and vice versa.

Clairvoyance: Although they cannot see the future in the regular sense, phoenix demons have the ability to sense many things. Such as who is best to create their empathic links with, as well as danger coming close to them.

In conclusion, phoenix demons are, even from birth, very powerful beings. Their continued absence from the Netherworld is a great loss to us all, and should one ever be found again, I have no doubt that it will be a great and wonderful shock to every demon.

-this is a line-

A/N

Hey all! Welcome to my Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun fanfic!

I'm super excited for this, and I hope you all are as well. I can't promise regular updates at this point in time, but I do promise I'll try my best to get chapters out without too much of a wait between them.

As I'm writing this author's note, I'm about a quarter of the way through writing Chapter 1, which is a total of about 2500 words I've written today so far, lol. Providing things go well, I should complete it within the next few days!

Let me know what you think!

-T1naMa3