Introduction

There was a story told to children to keep them in at night. A story that's been told for generations.

A long time ago, when the only transportation was by horse and the brick houses where wooden cabins, the people of Sirena Town lived in peace. They had gone about their days without a worry in their minds. Children ran around freely and enjoyed themselves. The lake that is now murky and left alone was once a place where people swam. Where they fished for sport and sat long the coastline, soaking up the sun.

One night, when the moon shone brightly and there were only the sounds of the animal life disrupting the quiet peacefulness. Up on the hill behind the lake, a house sat overlooking the town. This house was a place where a crooked old man resided. This man hated everyone and everything, but he was also a man that dabbed in the science of creation.

But this creation the man experimented on...it brought something evil into the world.

In the cold, dark basement, the old man walked around examining his creations. He wrote in his notepad, taking notes of how the experiments were progressing. He had taken children who had died in the previous winter after they had gotten sick. The man allowed for them to be buried before he dug into their graves and took their freshly buried bodies. He brought them back to his house in a wheelbarrow in the dark of night. When he returned and took them to his basement, he stored them in capsule tubes that held chemical to preserve the bodies.

Staying in his basement for days, the old man worked to transfer fish DNA into the children's own bloodstream. He watched each day as the children slowly transformed and become older in a few months time. He had spent six months with these babies, watching as they turned into adults with green/blue skin, gills, and webbed hands and feet.

The man thought the creatures would stay dead. Never in a million years would he have thought that one day the creatures would open its eyes and blink at him. "Oh!" The man gasped as he stared into pure black eyes. It was like staring into a black hole. "How are you..." He rushed over to his cluttered table and rummaged around the mess in search of what he was looking for. "A-ha." The man exclaimed, eyes running over the note covered paper in his hands. "None of my calculations had this outcome possible..."

The man slowly walked over to the tube housing the experiment that was miraculously awake; alive. The creature twitched, arms slowly rising and falling in the water. The man stepped ever so closely to the tube and paused. He smiled and raised his hand, the creature following his movement. Both their hands touched the chilled glass, and the man grew giddy at what he has created. Amazing.

The creature chittered, making sounds almost like it was trying to talk to the man. More chittering sounded throughout the basement, shocking the old man. He circled around and took in the sight of all the creatures moving around in their tubes. "My children..." The man muttered.

Suddenly there was a screech like nails on a chalk board. The man jumped and turned around to see one of his children scratching its nails on the glass. The other creatures soon follow the first creature and start scratching their tubes. The man wandered over and tried to figure out what the creature was writing. It only took a second for everything to go wrong.

The creature pulled away from where it had previously been scratching at and waited a moment before pulling its hand back and slamming it against the glass tube. The tube that was supposed to be indestructible seemed so fragile in that moment. Liquid spilled all over the floor and the creature sprang out, tackling the man to the ground. The creature raised its hand and brought it down, nails sharp and glistening in the candles glare.

Red shone bright that night. It was slick and dark as it spewed from the long cuts racking down the mans chest and stomach. The mans front was mutilated beyond recognition. Intestines pulled out as the claws easily slipped through soft skin. He never got to make a sound. The man was dead before he knew what was happening.

The other creatures soon broke out of their own tubes and crowded around the corpse of the old man. They chittered at each other, touching their hands on one anothers body to recognize themselves as a group. One creature took the initiative to rip an arm from the corpse and start eating the meat. They where hungry, and they were craving meat. But more specifically, they were craving blood.

As they finished their first meal of their young lives, the creatures searched the room. They were smart. Knowing to look for a way to escape, the creatures found the stairway to the upper floor. They trampled over each other, running on all fours as they climbed the stairs. Reaching the top, the creatures headed straight for the front door. They knocked the door down into splinters.

They ran, rolling and stomping through the tall grass. They continued like this until they reached a cliff. Directly underneath them was the lake. Feeling drawn to the large body of water, the creatures jumped. They fell over fifty feet before they hit the waters surface. Once they were fully submerged under the water, they transformed for a second time in their short lives. Their scaly green and blue legs merged to form a long shiny tail.

The creatures stayed in that lake. Living on for decades like this story, the creatures only grew and thrived.

No one knows how this story spread, but this is a story of how it ends.