30| Band On The Run

During the day Shawn, Cory and Zoey were currently sitting at Chubbies, talking about the school dance that was happening on Friday night. As they were discussing, Cory got out of his seat and walked over to a girl Zoey knew was Sonia.

"Hi, my name is Cory." Cory greeted in a monotone voice. "The seventh-grade dance is Friday night, and I was just wondering if you maybe...."

"I'm sorry." Sonia apologised. "My grandmother's sick."

And with that Sonia walked away from him. Zoey placed a hand up to her mouth, trying not to laugh while Cory made his way back over to the table where Shawn and Zoey sat.

"Any luck?" Shawn asked.

"Apparently, it's not a good time to be a grandmother." Cory responded. He then looked around Chubbies and pointed to the girls that he had asked. "Look, her grandmother's coughing phlegm, her grandmother's hacking blood, and her...."

"Whoa." Shawn said, interrupting Cory. "I happen to know she has no grandmother."

Cory nodded. "Yes, and somehow she blames me for her death."

Zoey smirked. "At least you can't sink any lower."

"Hey, you." A voice called out. Zoey turned around to see two adults approaching their table. "Busy?"

"You're not gonna ask me to the dance, are you?" Cory wondered, looking somewhat frightened.

"What if I did?" The man questioned.

"I'd say pick me up at eight, but no slow dances." Cory responded.

"Just watch these for a second, all right?" The man said as he leaned his guitar case against the table beside Cory.

"I can do that." Cory said, nodding his head. The man's friend walked over to the table and placed his guitar case on the table in front of Shawn and Zoey before the two men walked away. "I'm not going to this dance with anybody."

"Why don't you just ask Topanga?" Zoey suggested.

"I could, I could, but that would show no personal growth if I simply ask the girl I've always asked ever since we were five." Cory said.

"So, when you gonna ask her?" Zoey asked with raised eyebrows.

"I figure tomorrow," Cory simply answered. "unless by some magic, girls suddenly start to notice me."

Just a second after Cory said that, Sonia and her friend, Sherry suddenly approached their table with smiles on their faces.

"Hi." Sonia greeted Cory. "I couldn't help noticing you."

Cory raised his eyebrows. "Oh, you're talking to me? Shouldn't you be at the hospital visiting one of your many blood-hacking grandmas?"

"Why didn't you tell me you play?" Sherry wondered.

"Huh?" Cory asked in confused.

Then it finally clicked inside Zoey's mind. Sonia and Sherry both thought that Shawn and Cory both played guitar, due to the guitar cases in front of them. Zoey chuckled softly at how stupid this was.

"Cory, they're onto us. They've spotted our axes. They know we play. They like musicians." Shawn told Cory, tapping on the guitar case in front of him.

"Oh, well, then watch me pull this rabbit out of my hat." Cory said with an excited smile spread across his lips.

"Musicians." Zoey corrected with a smirk.

"Oh, well, that's very different." Cory stated.

"You guys in a band?" Sonia asked, looking between Shawn and Cory.