Baked Cookies

Throwing my head back and pretending to sing along to the vinyls that played. Hot Stuff Donna summers played, sure it was a bit inappropriate for him but he was young he wasn't gonna understand the lyrics.

He sat on the couch with a look of displeasure, his arms folded on top of each other. I could tell he wasn't enjoying it at all, finally giving up I plopped my body near him. "Okay Mr why the stern face" I pocked his tiny belly. He purses his lips "I want guitar, I wanna be like Elvis" looking around the room for some inspiration.

On the wall was a painting of a music symbol. At that moment I knew exactly who to call in hopes of cheering this little guy up, I was afraid but it was worth a shot.

20 minutes later the door bell rang "Come Eli let's see who's at the door" I placed him on my hip, his small body was so light as a feather, opening to reveal Prince. He looked at the little guy, a guitar case in his hand "Hey Eli I'm Prince" he came into shake his hand.

While Prince got setup me and Eli went to the kitchen to make some cookies. "And add the egg" he sat on the counter as I stirred. He insisted I bake cookies for him, which I didn't mind because I loved cookies. "Come here little guy" Prince called to him, I helped him off the counter.

He waddled towards him as I finished mixing the batter. I watched the two as they played together, it was a very cute scene to be very honest. Growing up taking care of my parents when they were high or drunk was a task for me and Andy, so I never wanted kids. Andy always said just wait till you meet the right one and you'll want all the kids in the world with him.

Maybe some day. I placed the cookies onto the sheet and threw them in the oven at the degrees it said to put, wiping my hands on a napkin and tossing it in the trash I walked over to the Elvis in the living room. Prince plucked at his guitar strings, showing off some good sounds while Eli danced around like a high actor at studio 54.

There was no doubt I was enjoying this, but Prince had a childlike way of him which made this all the better. "Dance" Eli lifted me from the couch and with a swift hop I was on my feet and dancing with him. Prince seemed to be liking this too, he kept smiling the entire time we danced together.

We swirled and jumped, Prince plucked and plucked. Soon my chest lost its breath and I had to take a break, same with Eli. He looked very worn out "Why'd you stop?" Prince questioned? I looked at him with a sarcastic eye roll "Because were the dancers, let us see your moves" Back on my feet I forced him to join us.

Although Eli & I were very tired we begged to see Prince dance. My mind still hurt from 2 days ago, where I completely embarrassed myself.

I knew we'd have to talk about it soon but for now I wanted to enjoy the dancing that was happening. A strong smell of fire and cookie dough filled my nostrils, my heart dropped as I realized smoke filled the entire living and kitchen room. "Shit" I blurted.

Soon P & E noticed my panic and followed me to the kitchen were I attempted to put out the fire. Eli began crying which got me in even more of a scare, Prince opened the windows and front door to air out the house, taking the cookies and tossing them in the trash I was bummed.

The smoke eventually went away and Eli eventually calmed down. He rested his head in my lap while we watched cartoons, Prince stood a little long to make sure everything was okay. It was like I couldn't do anything right "Sucks the cookies burnt" Prince whispered over the tv.

Stroking Eli's head "Yeah, I know he must've been really scared" which he was, and I could imagine not knowing what's going on.

"I know your thinking about the photoshoot" my face flushed red. A feeling of small tingles arose on my legs, Eli's head must've put my leg to sleep. I softly placed him to the other side of the couch. It was way later than the bed time his mom told me to go by, but know one will know.

Focusing on the television "Yeah about that I'm sor-" he cut me off mid sentence.

"Don't even worry about it. Everyone thought it was party of the shoot, but you could've stayed" staying was something I was gonna do but I was way to embarrassed at the moment I couldn't bare to see anyone.

Plus that nightmare I had scared the crap out of me big time. "I know it was just the heat of the moment, I guess I'm always getting the wrong signals" my head dropped towards Eli, ashamed I was.

Prince scooted closer and lifted my chin with his hand. "No, you got all the right signs, just at the wrong time" his lips pressed against mine. His scent filled my nose and my heart beat sped up "Prince" I whispered and looked him in the eye.

His eye full of concern as our bodies were close enough to stick. "Yeah?" He raised an eyebrow. We'd kissed 4 times and haven't been able to get over each other, it was annoying how we continued to pretend we didn't want each other but every time we kissed he'd try to fiddle with my bra or grab my butt. "I think you should go" he backed away from me slowly, although we're friends and we met through Levi. Everything is messed up, how can god keep putting us in this situation?

"Oh- I okay" he got up from his seat and grabbed his coat and equipment. Turning back to me his eyes lowered to the ground, "I enjoyed the time with you & Eli.... Uh bye" before he walked through the front door I knew I had to stop him.

"Wait" standing up. "Come back tomorrow morning, there's a pool and fresh fruit. Then we're gonna attempt to go to the park, only if his mother doesn't come in time" he tried to hide his smirking lips. Prince was content, "Okay and what time shall I arrive?" Splurging out some random time frame.

My hands locked behind my back "10 am" he nodded before closing the door.