Chapter 1- [ roots ]

Few people choose to be alone.

Humans are social animals, after all.

Be it to survive or to hunt, they go in groups to increase their chances.

That's why there are gangs. They come together for a purpose, to take over territory, to earn money, to fight.

Then, there are the loners. People who go on their own, without help from others. These are the people you should fear.

Why, you ask?

Because they have single handedly achieved what took a group of people to do. They do it by themselves, and they succeed.

・・・

Watanabe Yua is a loner. She's always been one.

That doesn't mean she's achieved anything, though.

She's alone not by choice, but because she can't make friends.

After all, who would be friends with the kid who smashed someone's head into the corner of a table?

Yua is five when she discovers adrenaline.

She felt the adrenaline coursing through her veins, and oh it felt so good. It wasn't anything like haunted houses or roller coasters; No, this was much more intense, much more pleasurable.

It came from fighting.

It could barely be considered a fight, really. A boy, she can't even remember his name, tried to take what was hers.

Yua didn't like that. So, she grabs him by the hair and pushes his head onto a plastic table. The boy ends up crying on the floor.

It felt good, seeing him on the floor like that. She's pretty sure she isn't supposed to think this way

She wants to feel that pleasure again, one day.

Yua is nine when she gets that rush of a high again.

She's been taking martial arts classes on the excuse of self defense. She's actually just there for the sparring, though it isn't as fun when people don't take you seriously.

This time though, she might need it for actual defense.

She was walking back home alone, since her parents were much too busy with her younger brother. This time, she is not alone. Someone was following her.

Yua bided her time, walking slowly. She's not confident she can fend him off, but she'll try. It's all fun to her anyways. She waits for the man to attempt to grab her; as he reaches his arm out, Yua grabs onto and pulls his arm in the same direction he was moving in. With the help of his own weight and momentum, Yua flips the man over and slams his back onto the floor. For good measure, she slams her heavy backpack into his face, and books it.