Chapter 11 ~ Mama's Hugs

Reece

"Honey, pass me the potatoes please." Mom calls out to me as I snap out of my thoughts. I pick up the bowl of potatoes and hand them to her. Not making eye contact but somehow, she knows I'm not in a good mood.

"What's wrong Reece?" She says in a sincere voice. I can never lie to my mother. Even if I try, she always knows when I'm lying. I shake my head dismissing this conversation at the dinner table. I see my mom glance to her side to dad. He looks at her too.

"Daddy guess what!?" Aurora yelps excitedly and she jumps up and down in her seat. "What's up baby girl?" He responds with just as much enthusiasm as her. Even when he doesn't feel like it, he will always match our energy.

"Today, I met one of Grey's friends, Conner, he said that he liked my shoes and hair so I gave him a hug!" She jumps up and down as dad chokes on the food he was eating, mom patting his back.

Aurora is still too little to understand. I know at ten that's when you start to learn about such things, but mom and dad have done their absolute best to keep them away from that stuff until they think they are ready for it. It's hard to comprehend that they are only three years away from being teens.

"That's nice sweetheart, is he your friend now?" Mom asks to take a sip of her water while dad gets himself together. I knew he was dreading this part of life, when Rory started hanging around other boys other than me, him, Greyson, and Cole.

"Yep, but Greyson said I can't be friends with him because daddy won't like that." She lifts up her fork and starts eating again. My mom looks to Greyson who is acting like a normal ten year old would act. Grumpy.

"Greyson, did you say that?" Mom lifts a brow. She doesn't get an answer though so she sighs. Dinner is silent the rest of the time. Once it's over though, I help mom clean up the table and help with dishes.

Dad took Rory and Grey down to Abby and Coles house early for game night. I know him and mom planned this so that mom can talk to me.

"So do you want to tell me what's got you down?" My assumption is correct when she closes the dish washer and puts a hand on her hips. When I don't say anything and grab a Kleenex wipe and start wiping the counter, she comes over to me and takes it from me.

Letting her do so, she takes me to the living room and sits me on the couch. She folds her arms in her lap and turns to me. "Talk to me Reece, please. Do you know how sad it makes a mother when her kid is not himself and not telling his own mother?"

She doesn't say that to get pity out of me though. That is her thoughts and she wants no pity, she just wants me to know that it hurts her to see me like this. Like I said, I can't ever lie to her, I have always been a mama's boy.

"I don't want to see Bree anymore." I whisper out and she takes her arms out of her lap and rubs my back. "Why not baby?"

I'm a very emotional guy, I cry like a girl would in this type of situation. I'm not as tough as other guys my age, I'm very open about how I feel. I only break down in front of Mom though, and used to with Mayella.

I look at her as she takes my hands in hers and kisses them. I let out a cracky sigh and that's when my vision gets blurry.

I told her.

I tell her what I did, I tell her that I betrayed my best friend because I was manipulated into a relationship with Bree because Bree threatened to ruin Mayella's repetition and make sure she never graduated. I told her how much I hurt Mayella and I did it because I thought I was protecting her.

And just like I thought, mom doesn't say anything as I break down. Instead she brings me into her mama hug and wraps both arms around me. I let myself sink into her and cry. I can see her grab her phone and ring dad, telling him me and her are staying back tonight.

🎀

After me and mom talked, I went to bed and slept the rest of the night. She reassured me that she was not going to tell dad unless I was okay with it. I told her I'm not ready for more people to know.

I'm now walking outside the next night hoping that the fresh air will relieve me. What my mom told me last night, is stuck with me. She said, "There is always light at the end of the tunnel." I know that saying, but when your mom says it, it hits in a different place.

I sigh as I put my hands in my pockets and head down. I go to the mailbox and observe all the mail we got. I see my name on one of the letters. I scrunch my face in confusion and open it, putting the rest of the mail in my arm.

I take the letter out and read it to myself.

    Dear Mr. Graham.

I'm writing from the University of Seattle. We have sent one of our crew members from our school's hockey team to observe you and decide whether or not to give you a scholarship. After much consideration, we decide to wait on it and see what your other games show. Once we have decided we will get back to you.

Always, Coach Nick.

Holy crap.

I'm being considered for a scholarship in Seattle. That's my dream school. Ever since I was a kid. I wanted to go there.

Looks like I'm going to have to up my game.

A/N
I love showing their relationship with their parents.

I have a special pov next chapter so get excited!