Chapter 12 ~ Reece

Fayette

tehehe

"I don't know what to do Elias." I sob as I lay back against the headboard. Being a mother to an adult is the hardest thing ever. I almost lost it when Reece had told me what happened. I now understand why he and May stopped hanging around each other.

He just wanted to keep her safe. He knows how important graduating is to her. He has always been so considerate with her. That's why when he and Bree got together, I was upset, but nonetheless, supported him because it was his choice.

"Fay, baby, he is growing up, he is an adult now, I understand where he was coming from. If I was in his shoes, I would have done the same thing for you, maybe differently but still. I can tell he loves her, the moment he laid eyes on her. I trust him, I have hope that he will make the right choice in the end." Elias rubs my back as he brings me down to him. He plants a kiss on my forehead.

"I know, it's just scary knowing that he's not a baby and I can't fight his battles anymore." I say and I feel Elias nod against me.

"I know baby, get some sleep. It will sort itself out, we raised him right." He reassures me and turns the lights off. I sigh and drift to sleep.

🎀

Mayella

Christmas is on the verge of coming. I'm so excited to do all the fun activities that you can only do around that time.

Only a few months before graduation, and I still haven't received a letter from University. I know it's still a little too early, but I'm still sad about it. I'm not a patient person.

On another note, I have noticed that Amara and Max have been growing pretty close to each other. Not that I mind, in fact I realized that after my birthday, what me and Max have is not what I'm looking for in a relationship.

I told him that and he said he felt the same and that he was glad we could agree and be friends. Now I have a feeling I know why. I'm not against setting Amara and Max up. In fact if he asked me, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Bree is still snotty to me in class

And Reece and I are still not talking and avoiding each other.

Reece didn't show up to game night on Friday, neither did Fay. Elias said they both had a bug, but Reece looked good the next day at school. I was determined to find out. That's why I'm standing on their front porch.

My intention is to talk to Fay, get something out of her. Hoping she is there right now and not Reece since hockey practice should be over.

I ring the doorbell and immediately, Reece answers the door. He sees me and inhales. I do the same, not saying a word, my mouth opens. Reece coughs which snaps me back.

I was not thinking about his eyes, or his hair, or his lips. Nope.

"Uh, can I help you?" He asks but not in an annoyed tone, more in a confused but friendly tone. "Uh, I wanted to see if your mom is around, I wanted to borrow a book." I lie and look down to my shoes.

"Ah, well uh- she is not here, she is back in Seattle, you know checking up on the store." I nod my head. Of course she would be there the one night I needed her. We stare for a while, I try to recognize his face, but I can't. He is not the same.

His eyes got darker, his dimples got deeper, he has some light freckles now, and his lips look more plump. He looks at me like he is doing the same, trying to see the person we thought we knew.

This time, I cough and give him a light smile. "Well, I better go, tell your mom I dropped by?" I ask and he nods, I nod back and turn around and walk away.

Down their porch stairs, I make it to his mailbox before I hear my name.

"Wait, Mayella." Reece comes running down and holds me elbow so I don't leave. I stand shocked at his actions. Why is he so on and off. One day he is hugging me asking me to trust him, next he is ignoring me, next he is holding my elbow.

I didn't use lotion.

I pull my elbow away from his grasp lightly as he lets go as well as sewing my face. "Sorry, I just- I just- want to say- that I'm sorry." His stutter comes out as he puts his hands in his pockets. I'm honestly not shocked that he said that.

Maybe I have no right, but I'm pretty annoyed with those words coming out of his mouth.

"Goodnight, Reece." I turn away and speed walk to my house.

I don't think I would be able to hold it together if I had stayed any longer. I was already thinking of ways that we could be friends again. But I see nothing.

He is not the Reece I grew up with. This Reece is tough, and has a popular girlfriend, and is in the spotlight. The Reece I know, wanted none of those things growing up. He wanted to be different, show his emotion, have a closed off relationship, be a closed off person.

The way he was also looking at me sends me into a spiral. It's like he wanted me to stay there forever. But like I said, I don't know him, so maybe he wasn't thinking that and he really did grow to like the person he is.

I don't realize I'm crying until I feel it on my pillow. I wipe my under eyes and get up to put a shirt on.

I look at myself in the mirror and sigh, getting back in bed and trying to think of anything else.

a/n

I think I'm going to add more pov's. More so the parents that we all love.