Prologue: Tears

A single tear escaped from my eyes. It has been about a week since Momma's funeral. Dad abandoned us 7 years earlier. Momma was the only thing I could think about. I didn't even notice when Abuela touched my shoulder. 

"Hijita, ya no te pones triste. Don't be sad. It's going to be alright." I nodded, but I didn't feel that way. My feelings wanted to escape me. I obeyed Abuela as she motioned me to come into the house. As I walked into my house, I touched my diamond locket. Momma gave it to me before... the accident. It was a sunny day. Momma went to her shift at the hospital and as she was coming back to our house, a drunk driver crashed into Momma's car. I shivered the bad thoughts away. I gripped the locket so hard my hand was sweating. The smell of Mexican food rushed into my senses. Frijoles and arroz, my regular comfort food. But today I didn't want Abuela's delicious cooking.

 As Abuela came in, her gray hair swept in a bun, she hugged me. "Ya. Ven a comer. You look so skinny, my Julie!" I couldn't help but give a small smile, but it quickly faded away. It hurt to smile when Momma wasn't here. With me. I pushed the plate away. "I'm not hungry." I lied. The truth was I was starving but I felt guilty eating, thinking that it was not fair that I can eat and Momma can't. Abuela frowned. "Ok, ok, Julie." she sighed. 

She sat down next to me. "Jules? Estas bien? You're not eating at all. I know that without your mom you don't want to do anything. I felt the same way when your Abuelo died." Abuela explained, her voice shaky. I lowered my head. She was right. I didn't want to do anything. Not even to sing, which I loved to do. "I know. I guess I'll eat. Thanks, Abuela." I sighed. I picked at my arroz until I forced the fork into my mouth. I ate silently as Abuela went to the living room to watch the soaps. Momma always told Abuela to not watch soap operas. She said they rotted your brain. I laughed slightly at that memory. I didn't realize how hungry I actually was until I saw that my plate was empty. I blushed as Abuela said, "Ya ves! Te dije, 'Come. ¡Tienes que comer!' ¡Pero Julie no me hiciste caso!" She went away carrying the plates, shaking her head. I held my hand to my mouth to cover my small smile.

 Abuela came back quickly. "Need something, Abuela?" I asked. Abuela sat down. "Escuchame, Jules. I know you're said, but I have something important to announce." Abuela said. Now I was getting worried. What was she going to tell me? Abuela continued, "You know that I am old now and earn what I can. Bills pile up. Taking care of you is expensive. Pero te amo mucho! So I have decided to... move to another state." Wait, what? No, no, no, no! Tears started spilling out.

 "No! I don't want to leave my friends. My house! Momma and I lived here! I grew up here! No me voy a ir!" I yelled. I started to get up from the kitchen table but it was a blur. My legs carried me out of the kitchen and to my room. I could hear Abuela talking but the words didn't make sense. It was like my head was underwater and I couldn't hear. Finally, words made sense and I heard her say, "It's for your own good, hijita! No te enojas conmigo!" I ran upstairs, my fingers streaming against the rail. I had done this so many times it was crazy. But now it hurt like crazy. I passed Abuela's room blindly and made it to my room. I rammed into my bed, body-racking sobs enveloped me. Life was shattering. I tried to pick up the pieces but it didn't work. Momma needed to be here. What was going to happen to me?