65| I Never Sang For My Legal Guardian

At school, Zoey was leaning against the wall, one foot propped up against it and crossed her arms while Shawn talking on the phone when Cory rushed up to them.

"Come on, we're gonna be late for class." Cory said.

"Hold on. Shawn's trying to check his messages." Zoey informed.

Shawn looked up as Mr. Turner walked out the office beside them. "Hey, John, what's your secret code?"

"Oh. it's one, four, three, four." Cory answered immediately.

"Matthews, how do you know my secret code?" Mr. Turner wondered.

"Easy. It's the same number as your bank card. Oh - I owe you forty bucks." Cory answered.

Shawn hung up the phone and frowned. "Well, no messages. My dad hasn't called in two weeks now."

"I wouldn't worry too much, Shawn. There could be a million good reasons." Mr. Turner told him.

"Yeah." Zoey agreed, pushing herself off the wall. "Didn't he say he was on his way to the Vatican to visit his old friend the Pope?"

Of course, Zoey didn't believe this for a second as well as she knew Chet Hunter, but she would pretend to believe the story in an effort to cheer up her boyfriend.

"Yeah." Shawn replied.

"Well, they only have one phone there and it's in the Pope's bedroom and you don't want to go in there." Cory added.

"It was just after his last letter, I thought he was headed this way. I was hoping to get to see him, that's all." Shawn explained before he turned and walked through the hallway.

Cory turned to his best friend and teacher. "Zo, Mr. Turner, we got a big problem with Shawn. I mean, this one goes way beyond pooberty."

Zoey furrowed her eyebrows. "You mean puberty, Cor?"

"Yeah, pooberty." Cory repeated with a nod. "Listen, you gotta get Shawn's dad out here to at least a visit. I mean, he hasn't seen him since he took off after his mum and that was, like, a year ago."

"I don't think he's coming back real soon, Mathews." Mr. Turner admitted.

"Why do you say that?" Cory asked.

"Well, because Chet's calls are getting fewer and far between and a few months back he sent me the paperwork to make me Shawn's legal guardian." Mr. Turner explained.

Zoey stared at Mr. Turner in shock. "Wait? What?"

"Wow. No wonder Shawn's been so bummed out lately." Cory muttered.

"Yeah, it's a big step for him and for me. I mean, it's difficult enough just living together in that mousehole of an apartment." Mr. Turner added.

"Mr. Tuner, you gotta do something." Cory insisted.

Mr. Turner nodded. "Yeah, I do."

Cory then pulled out his wallet. "You know what? You're a good guy. Here's the thirty bucks I owe you."

"Forty." Mr. turner reminded him.

"That's a good memory." Cory said with a nervous smile.

••••

"Good news!" Cory exclaimed as he rushed into Mr. Turner's apartment.

"You know, house hunting is kind of fun." Zoey said as she trailed behind Cory. "The duplex in the condo community? I talked him down."

"And look what they're throwing in." Cory added, opening the binder he was carrying. "Carpets! Now, my advice is to go shag cause it feels good between your toes."