The Arrangement

Even before my makeup was done.. And much when it was.. I couldn't stop the perilous pour of tears down my cheeks. Even with much insistence that I don't ruin it before the ceremony, all of the maids flocking to my sides, handkerchiefs in hand as they tried to plug the deluge.. Nothing could've stopped the self pity.

But little did I know that the person that could halt the tears.. Was the person I hated most, all because I was too proud to show him and his arrogant ass that he had any power over me.

~...~

"WHAT?!" I squawked, my caterwauling bouncing off of the dining room walls, the sound toppling the deafening squeak of my chair as I shot to a stand almost as soon as the venomous news met my ears. My mother gave me those usual bug eyes, like I'd just told her I'd laid with the cook and the rest of the staff.

"(Y/n).. (L/n).." She breathed, her massive, shocked eyes matching her tone perfectly. I nearly thought she may faint from the look on her face. "What is the meaning of your outburst?" She asked dumbly.

"The meaning of it?! You're sending me away to be married to a stranger!" I cried as I pondered on whether or not I should throw the Asgardian letter back in her face. "A prince!" She attempted to justify, a small smile resuming it's place on her face.

"I know how much trouble you've been having finding yourself a husband so.." My mother shrugged her shoulders, her shimmering satin dress glinting in the sunlight. Might I add that this news was given to me over breakfast?

"Yea, (Y/n).. You should be happy, this one can't get away," My sister Emora poked, though her attempts to get under my skin have long since been useless.. Now was the moment my guard was down. "Shut up!" I growled as Emora giggled, before taking a bite of her biscuit.

"Girls! Puh-lease!" My mother cried, her voice booming almost louder off the walls as both me and my sister shut our mouths..
"(Y/n).. You are nearly past your prime to be married.. This was the only way! You don't take any of the advice I give you, you don't take your sisters' advice-"
"Oh and what advice would Emora or Anne give me, hm? Entrap and blow?"
"Shut your mouth!" Emora cried as she threw the rest of her biscuit at me without a second thought, but I ducked out of the way before it could hit me.

"Girls, enough!" My mother cried for the final time, before slapping her hand against the table. Silence fell over us like a blanket, my mother's eyes resuming that shocked wideness that never ceased to make me a little uneasy. Even if I saw that expression often, it still sent a shiver down my spine.

"You are marrying that Asgardian prince, young lady, do you wish to bring nothing but shame to this family by rejecting the royal family of all families? I will not allow it." She enunciated, spelling out the words slow, as if speaking slower would help me understand and push me to accept it. I pressed my lips together to stop my chin from quivering, before I stormed off.

Even halfway down the hall I could hear the dreaded words of my sister add on "I always knew that it'd be you to pick her husband for her," She said, before giggling "I'd hoped it wouldn't come to this- But that girl is truly more trouble than any of it is worth," My mother replied with a sigh.

Great, I am worth less than the supposed trouble I bring.. How loving.

~...~

From the first moment I could remember, I think I'd always been considered the 'problem-child', the odd one out, the black sheep, etc.. Absolutely nothing like my 3 older sisters. I guess deep down I'd always been a disappointment. But how could I not have been? I was the last one, the baby! Do you have any idea the pressure of having all of these preconceived thoughts about you before you're even born?