Prologue - Before the Battle

Hey, yeah the story is getting rewritten. I thought about just revising the early chapters, but that was just creating issues, so I decided to start from scratch. Also, how do people like the new cover? Took me a solid two hours to cut Godzilla out of the image to put in here, and I'm really happy with how it turned out. It's also how Godzilla is looking now.

Godzilla watches as her friends sit around a campfire with a knot in her stomach. Her biggest fight in her life was only a few hours away, and she couldn't be any less confident in herself and her abilities, which was incredibly unusual for anyone who knew her. But she didn't want to drag down the moral of her friends, especially not after they'd worked so hard to bring it up as high as it was in the first place.

Sighing, she slowly walks away to sit on the other side of the mountain that overlooks the water. The skies are clear, which gives a perfect view as the moon rises over the ocean and bathes the water in it's white glow. She smiles. It had been a while since she'd simply sat down and looked at nature to appreciate its beauty. In fact the last time had been over 65 Million years ago. Back when she still had...

Her smile falters, and her eyes fall to the dirt. Right, that's why she's stuck to only defending nature and it's order, not appreciating it. Because what the hell did appreciating nature do? She didn't know, other than the fact that it didn't save her friend when he'd needed it the most. The regrets she still felt for letting her guard down and having to be saved by him, at the cost of his own life, would never go away, as long as she lives.

"Miss you... Thomas... Wish you were here to help. I know we'd all appreciate it. You and your quick jokes would have the moral higher than ever." She rests her arms on her knees, smiling and chuckling at the image her brain was drawing up. A tiny man of less than 2 meters doing something stupid and whacky to make everyone happier.

But that smile quickly fades, a new thought hitting her as she remembers things from even further past that day. An image of a crazy and whacky strategy against titans over 70 times bigger than him comes to her mind. "Were you... acting like that against her too?" She looks to the sky, as if the twinkling stars above might give her an answer. Of course, she receives nothing from it.

Continuing this train of thought, Godzilla thinks about her modern battles. She thinks about the way her allies walk into their respective fights, confident in their abilities to win in spite of the danger. Anguirus, Rodan, and even Kong to some degree, they all act like he used to. In the way that, while it brought about her defeat and containment for millions of years, ended up with his own life being taken by the Universe.

In her mind, a sacrifice might as well have been a loss. And the only thing that could've caused him to lose then, when he'd won and succeeded against the odds before, was that whacky attitude that leaked into his fighting style.

"No," Godzilla wrenches her eyes shut and vows to herself right there and then. "I can't let them suffer that same fate. If we survive this fight, nobody will ever take fighting as something that's fun again. I'll protect them in your honour, Thomas." She may have failed to keep her vow years ago, but this one meant so much more than simply keeping that bitch trapped. It meant keeping those close to her alive. It meant not having to deal with that same pain again.

"Goji?" Her eyes snap open and she looks towards the path she'd used to get here, finding both Mothra and Kong to be walking towards her. The looks on their faces tell her that they'd heard more of that than they should've, which was none at all.