Chapter 1: Accidents Happen

"Come on Annelyn, you're sooo slow."

I rolled my eyes, and continued to move up the side of the cliff that we were climbing. I had been fighting the urge to be rude to him for the last hour.

If this kid says one more word, I think I'm going to lose it.

"I think I'll be able to get back down by the time you even make it up here. Who chose you to be captain of your gymnastics team? Because I would like to know."

"Ugh. Can you just stop it already?" I said.

I was stretched thin. Half of my energy was being put into grabbing the next rock and getting my foot on the ledge, while the other half was being spent trying to contain my anger.

My toes hurt, my arms were tired, the sun was practically blinding my peripheral vision, and I was so sure that there were little germs dancing on the last carabiner that I would need to use. In that moment, every single thing was making me mad.

Maybe this is what they call sensory overload.

"Maybe if you let me get up there quietly, I would go faster."

I made up my mind that when I finally got up there, which was going to be in about 2 minutes, I would give Aiden a piece of my mind.

"Wow, finally! Congratulations on the climb of your life! Do you have anything to say to all the young ladies around the world who might be watching?" Aiden asked sarcastically.

"Listen, sir. You might be my best friend, but don't think I won't push you off this cliff right now. You only have about 30 feet to go."

If I had known that Aiden would have been like this, I wouldn't have let him talk me into a mini summer boot camp -- led by him.

Why did I feel the need to join a summer boot camp you ask? Well one, because I needed something to do during the summer that was away from home. And two, I had been having some problems training before Aiden talked me into it. But that was only after I accidentally let it slip, while we were out having dinner with my sister and her new boyfriend.

                                                           ~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Lyn! Are you ready to go yet?"

I sigh as I call back, "Yeah, I'm just putting on my shoes. I'll be out in a bit." She always rushes me even though I've waited for her almost every time we've had an event to go to. It's almost as if I'm a circle with two long arms and sharp tips that point to a number during every second of the day. I let her know when we need to start getting ready, when we're starting to get late, and when she needs to hurry up because we're already late. I usually find myself helping her out with at least one thing, to make things go faster.

"Can you come help me out with my zipper?" She asks.

I cross my fingers and my toes.

Maybe, just maybe if I hold my breath she won't ask me to-

"And my hair?"

Goodness, I never get a break.

I finish tying my sneakers and speed walk to her room.

"I'm in here!" Kara says.

I turn the corner into her private bathroom, and see her sitting in front of her vanity.

She's wearing a plum long-sleeved, flowy midi dress, with lace details at the neck. It shows off her curves for sure, but I feel like it's a little too much for where we're going.