Chapter 13 ~ Party

Reece

After Mayella left my house, I didn't know what to do with myself. I was dumb for stuttering and saying sorry over and over again. I should have just told her how I felt. Something in my heart broke when she left. It feels like that every time she leaves.

I know I need to back up and give her some space because I have no right to tell her what she can or can't do.

I groan as I roll over on my bed. Rubbing my eyes I get up and check my phone. It's around ten at night when I see a text from Bree that says, "Call me." I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion but dial her number and call anyways.

I may not like her, but I would still go out of my way to make sure she has not been abducted or hurt.

"Hello?" A voice from the other line says. It's loud, I'm guessing she is at a party because I can hear background music and people singing. "Why did you want me to call you Bree?" I ask in an annoying tone.

"It was more of a suggestion, see the guys I met at the beach? Yeah they threw a party tonight which is where I'm currently at."

"Your point?"

"Well I thought you would just like to know that a certain someone is also here. Of course she seems a bit distracted by a friend of hers, so I can't get her attention. All I can say is that... she doesn't belong in this environment."

My brain is processing things so slowly since it's past the time I try to be in bed. "What are you talking about?" I shake my head. I get up and start walking back and forth waiting for a response.

"You're really that clueless huh? Maybe she will be fine, forget I called, bye." She is about to hang up before I call out to her. "What are you talking about Bree, tell me now." I say in a stern voice. I can hear her laughing. I'm surprised I can hear anything at this point since the music is blaring loud. I bet mom and dad can hear it from their room.

"I'm talking about May, she is here, at this party, talking with some college guys. Just thought I would call you to inform you since you seem to have more interest in her than me."

"You know I have more interest in her than you." I grumble out before I stop in my steps. "Wait, repeat that." I say, completely stopped in my place.

"Mayella, college party, college boys, bye." She finally hangs up. I look at my phone and see it's now close to eleven. I curse but shut my mouth from any other words coming out. I look around my room and see shoes, I put them on and grab a coat.

I don't care if I'm in my pajamas, Mayella should be at a college party. Why is she there in the first place? I think of all the possibilities in my head. What if she's hurt? What if she gets drugged? Assaulted?

I don't want to think any further so I swing my door open and grab my car keys and rush out the door.

🎀

I got the address from an Instagram post from a buddy of mine. I got there in no time, I will admit, I was scared I was going to get pulled over at the rate of speed I was going. But I didn't care, because I needed to find Mayella.

I slam my car door and make my way into the house that is lit up by party lights. The normal half nude bodies and alcohol is a sight to see. I push my way through, trying to avoid anyone talking to me. I try to spot Bree first to see if she knows where Mayella went.

I don't see any of them so I go upstairs to check the rooms first, thankfully, nothing, bathrooms, nothing. I check the dance floor, kitchen. Nothing. I have no idea where she can be. I'm surprised I haven't seen Bree either.

I go to the backyard and see that the party's still going on there as well. I take a close look around, no Bree, but, bingo.

I see Mayella is lying on a lawn chair, chatting it up with some dude. I think that's the guy she was talking to on the beach. James? Josh? I don't know and I don't care. I make my way over to them and Josh sees me coming their way so he gives me a tilted look.

Mayella on the other hand, when she sees me, her face drops. I give her my charming smile and wave to them. "Sorry to interrupt, but I have to get Mayella home." I say and Josh looks at Mayella confused.

"Don't listen to Justin, just ignore him." Mayella says and goes back to their conversation. I wait a while, feeling eyes on us for a while. I look at my phone and see it's almost one in the morning. I let out a deep sigh and went over to Mayella.

I grab her and put her over my shoulder. I pat her butt to make sure she has her phone. Once I know she does, I walk away, with Mayella punching at my back. I walk through the crowd with a smile.

"Put me down!" She yells as I toss her in the car and slam her door. I get in on my side and buckle up. I turn to her who is facing the opposite way with her arms crossed. "Put your seatbelt on." I say but get no response.

I groan and lean over, doing it myself with a little fight Mayella is trying to put up. She finally gives in and lets me put it on her.

"What the hell are you doing at a college party?" I yell a bit and see she is not responding. "Do your parents know? Does anyone know?" I ask with a little anger in my voice. "No, okay! No one knows because I snuck out! I wanted to live a little! Sue me!" She yells in my face and falls back against the window.

I let out a sigh, I don't want to argue any further so I put the car in drive and we went home in silence.

🎀

When I pull up to my house I can see her giving me a questioning look. I can tell she has been crying since her eyes are red. She is probably wondering why I didn't stop at her house. I take the car out of drive and hop out.

Going over to her side I opened the door for her. I lead her into my house before she stops me. "What are you doing?" She asks and I sigh looking at her. "Just stay here tonight, I will tell your parents you need a friend to stay here. But I can't let you go back tonight."

I didn't want her going back to her house tonight, thinking she will try and sneak out again. I know she wouldn't, I trust her, I just want her to not have to deal with her parents if they are up waiting for her to come home.

She sighs but nods, letting me lead her into the house. I make sure to lock the door behind us and she walks straight to the couch and plops down. I smile and shake my head. I go to the kitchen to get her water.

I come back and she is dead asleep on the couch. I can't let her sleep here so I put the glass of water down and carry her to my room. I place her in the middle of my bed and look at her closely. That dress looks uncomfortable.

I would never change her because I'm not sure how she would feel about it. So I go to my mom and dad's room and wake up. She seemed shocked but did it anyway. I gave her a shirt and shorts to put on her.

I know Mayella wouldn't mind my mom changing her since, duh, my mom changed her all the time when she was little. Mom kisses me goodnight and I grab some blankets and walk down stairs to fall asleep.

a/n

longer chapter! I redid this chapter so if you read the other version, I'm sorry but this is the final cut.

I encourage you guys to correct me on spelling!

Jesus loves you!