PROLOGUE

The leaves brushed eachother, drops of water clinging to their tips. "Leech'star!" a deafening yowl sounded from across the clearing. A tall, lean jet black cat emerged from an undergrowth. Slowly, the clan began to emerge from their dens, beneath the hanging leaves that sheltered them. Rain pelted down on their silk pelts, the air humid and warm. "What is it?" Leech'star meowed, his whiskers twitching, "I sure hope you've awakened the clan for a good cause, Bush'paw." The apprentice bowed his head, taking quick breaths before he could speak.

"It's Poppy'snout," he breathed, choking on the humidity, "She's been murdered!" The clan erupted into sudden whispers and murmurs, ears twitching amongst the mob. "Silence!" Leech'star snapped. The crowd went silent, and Leech'star dropped his head. "Take me to her. Once I have seen her, I will send a search party out for investigation," he meowed. Bush'paw stood and turned, the crowd of cats clearing a line for the duo. "Leech'star, it would be a horrible danger for you to go out there. You dont know if this apprentice did it himself!" a old yowl sounded from the crowd. "Are you really going to question the loyalty of an apprentice, who has worked hard to please you by day and night. Ungrateful!" Leech'star hissed, defending the apprentice, "I trust Bush'paw and will be going with him alone." With a final dip of his head, he left the camp with the apprentice.

In silence, they hurried through bushes and trees before leaping onto a steep rock. "Down there," the apprentice mewed, pointing with his tail. Leech'star lept down, digging his claws into smaller rocks to climb down. "Bring her to camp. I had sent a patrol out earlier this day. They must know," Leech'star heaved a breath. With a brief nod, Bush'paw obediently lifted the warrior, trotting the way back to camp. Leech'star followed the scent of the patrol. The trail led back to camp - they mustve arrived shrortly after Leech'star had left.

Yowls arose as he neared camp, ducking under the tunnel of bramble. The patrol was being circled, fear striking their hues. "You monsters! How could you have done this to your own clanmate?" The warriors spat, curses and hisses leaving their maws. "Silence!" Leech'star yowled, "What is the meaning of this? Constant accusations of loyal clanmates! You all are out of your minds." The patrol quickly walked over, huddling behind Leech'star. He faced the hissing crowd, spitting silent curses at the group. "Get back to your rest! We have things to do tomorrow," he ordered. Leech'star led the group to his den, sliding into the undergrowth. "Now, tell me everything."