Chapter 16 ~ Friends

Mayella

I told him I missed him. Stupid stupid stupid. I can't believe I would say that. And I didn't let him respond. I'm dreaded being in the same room as him tonight for Christmas Eve. We finally got out for winter break a couple days ago.

Only one semester and then I will be done with highschool moving onto bigger things. I'm sad that Amara will be missing most of it though. Her family plans to move in March, but she is coming back for graduation.

That leaves me with Reece. And Max I guess. But he has been busy for the last couple weeks. So it's been just me lately.

"May! Please come down here!" Mom's voice calls out and I hop out of bed and head to her. I see she is cooking for tonight. Jeez, that's a lot of food. "So Fay said that we are doing their house tonight and then our house tomorrow night alright?" I nod at the change of plans.

"Can you run to the store and get me some of that boxed pasta salad? I know how much Reece likes that." I nod my head and go to my room to grab my coat. I grab mom's keys and hop into her car.

I hate driving in snow. Just the charm of Minnesota. I try to back up in mom's tiny car. I know her wheels won't make it through the snow so I give up and get out of the car to walk. I pull my coat tighter on me and pull my hood up as I begin my journey to the store.

Luckily, this is a very small town so I made the small walk. It's getting colder and colder as the snow falls heavier.

I made it to the store safely and wiped off all the snow that fell on me. I grab a basket and head to the isle where I'm supposed to be. I sigh as I throw in two jars of pickles on my way. Spears of course, they are the only right way.

I'm reaching for the boxed pasta when a hand touched mine. I look up to see Reece reaching for the same box as me. He backtracks his hand and gives me a smile, gosh what I wouldn't do to have my lips on his.

"Pasta salad?" He asks and I nod. "My mom asked me to grab some for tonight."

"Same here." We stare at each other for a while before he looks in my basket. He smiles and looks back at me. "Pickles?" I nod, I know he remembers that when we were kids, we would raid the fridge of its pickles. It was a snack as well as this pasta salad.

He reaches for the box that we were both reaching for and puts it in my basket. He actually puts three in mine and three in his.

"Why so much? We are the only ones who like it." I say which makes him smile. "That's the point...Sage"

"Don't pull the last night on me Sage, I can do the exact same thing to you." He throws his head back in laughter. "Curse our parents for giving us the same middle name." He shrugs and I laugh.

"Well, I have to pick up a few more things." I say and he nods. "Want any company?" I'm shocked at his words, but nod, because I will take his company any day. We walk to the ice cream section and debate which one to get.

We pick sherbet in the end. He tells me he was told to get drinks so we head to that isle and grab some soda and tea. We are laughing, belly laughing, and enjoying each other's company for the first time in a long time.

I gasp as I run to what I'm looking at. "Reece look!" I shout as he walks us to the bear onesies that I picked up. "You know that mom and dad got us identical ones for our first Christmas." My eyes gleam in excitement.

It seems like he is enjoying this as well because he grabs a small size for me and a bigger one for him and puts it in the cart. I smile as we walk in silence to the cashier. He grabs my basket without my permission and adds it to his.

I'm about to protest but he gives me a 'be quiet' playful look. I bit my lip to stop the smile from reaching my ears. Once we pay, he hands me my bags and we walk outside, it's a little darker and the snow has gotten lighter.

"Thanks for a good time, and for paying. I promise to pay it back." I say and he shakes his head. "Don't worry about it." I smile as I begin my walk home. I can feel his eyes on me but I'm stubborn so I'm not asking for a ride.

"Sage" I can hear his stern voice. I stop and turn around. "Problem?" I ask and he shakes his head with a smile. "Get in my car Sage." He grabs my bags and puts them in his car. He then opens the passenger door and tilts his head for me to get in.

I don't protest this time since I'm freezing my butt off.

He puts on some soft music as he drives us home. I can't help but open my mouth. "Reece?" I know he knows where this is going since I said his name in a questioning manner. "Sage?" He says in a teasing tone.

"I meant what I said, I missed you." I turn to him and lean my head back on the head rest. He looks over to me when the light turns red. "I missed you too, Sagey." I snort out a laugh. "Like Sage wasn't enough!" He laughs.

"On a serious note, I missed you too bestie, glad to have us back." He says which makes me smile all the way.

I have my best friend back. And it's the best feeling ever.