thirteen.

..⃗.  [stay soft] 𑁍ࠜ ・゚ˊˎ

╰┈➤ ❝ [i can bear any pain as long as it has meaning

╰┈ [i can bear any pain as long as it has meaning.]
╰┈haruki murakami

THE ENTIRE ROOM SHOOK, JOLTING HER AWAKE. Pushing herself up from the bed, she threw open her balcony doors, stepping out into the cold night to look around. Her eyes scanned the city below the hill, searching for anything wrong. Smoke billowed in the air, carried by the cold wind. Looking over the balcony, her eyes widened at the large plume of smoking billowing from the Wayne manor. "Oh, fuck." She hissed under her breath, running back into her room to pull on a pair of sneakers. Grabbing her car keys, she made her way out of the room and down the stairs.

"Siobhan," her mother's voice called out, halting her in her tracks, "where do you think you're going? It's almost five in the morning."

"I have to go. It's an emergency."

"Have you not listened to anything I've said this past week? There is a serial killer on the loose." A deep sigh escaped her lips as she stared at her daughter. Her arms crossed over her chest, over the plush bathrobe she wore. She moved to approach Siobhan, frowning when the woman turned and made her way out of the house. "If you leave, don't bother coming back!" She shouted out the door, watching her daughter climb into the car and leave.

Siobhan's jaw clenched as her foot pressed heavy on the gas pedal. Silent prayers fell from her lips that no one was hurt... or worse. A deep frown grew on her lips as she pressed heavier on the gas. As her car pulled up, so did two fire trucks and an ambulance. She pulled behind them in the driveway, her eyes widening at the side of the mansion engulfed in flames. A large hole was now gaping from the side, exposing parts of the inside. In the yard, Dory stood with a worried frown. "Dory!" She called out, jogging over to the older woman. "What the hell happened?"

"Oh, Miss Dumont, it's awful!" Her voice cracked as tears built up in her eyes. "Alfred was just going through the mail like usual and it..." A sob escaped her lips as her hands reached up to cover her face. Siobhan's arms wrapped around the woman, pulling her into a comforting hug. Her eyes watched the firefighters fight the blaze while others entered the mansion in search for Alfred. With the might of Zeus, her hands balled into fists. Silent prayers filled her mind as she watched with a newfound intensity. Please be alive, she thought. Dory sobbed into the woman's arms. "I tried to call Mr. Wayne, but he isn't answering."

"He isn't in there?" Dory shook her head, a soft sob escaping her lips. Pulling out her phone, her hand squeezed Dory's shoulder before stepping away. She clicked on his name, pressing the phone to her ear and listening to the phone ring. Biting her bottom lip, she sighed. "C'mon, answer." She mumbled under her breath. When it was sent to voicemail, she sighed again. Curses spilled from her lips as she turned back to the fiery mess.