Playing Along - Part Ten

______________

"One chance." I said with a furrowed brow, running my shaking hands along the bedsheet, "That's all you get, Peter. You're lucky I'm even giving that after what you did to-..."

I stopped abruptly before I could say their name. I thought back to my best friend, the image of them bloodied and bruised on the floor of their apartment still fresh in my mind. I felt the rage building up inside me, my hands tightening into fists on my lap. I wasnt a violent person by any means, but... it was taking every fiber of my being to not lunge at Peter for what he did to them.

'Keep it in, Y/n.' I thought to myself, trying to calm my shot nerves, 'He'll get what he deserves in due time... but for now, just keep your mouth shut. Your life literally depends on it.'

"Oh, darling... I'm so relieved." Peter said with a gentle smile, taking a seat on the edge of the bed, "You won't regret it, I promise. We'll have so much fun together, just you and me! We can watch movies, and cook delicious meals, and play your favorite games... whatever you'd like, Y/n. All I want to do is make you happy."

'If you really wanted to make me happy, you'd let me go.'

I exhaled roughly, releasing a heavy sigh from the bottom of my stomach. That was naive, wishful thinking, wasn't it? I already knew deep down that a monster like Peter wasn't going to just let me go, no matter how much I cried, screamed or begged. That much was obvious from the start. But, in the end, that didn't really matter. I was determined to get out of this hell-hole one way or another. All I had to do was play along; trick him into thinking that I was here to stay. Then, once he let his guard down... I would be able to make my escape. He wouldn't even realized what had happened until I was already long gone.

"What about my job? You know, the one I work at practically every day?" I asked, ignorantly, feeling as if I already knew the answer, "I have bills to pay, and my coworkers really need my help... we're already short staff as it is."

He waved his hand dismissively. "Oh, sweetheart... you won't have to worry about paying for anything anymore. The two hour commute wouldn't be worth all the trouble when I can just take care of us."

I suddenly froze.

"...T-two hour commute?" I repeated slowly, hoping I had misheard him. Peter simply nodded his head, motioning towards a window on the other side of the room. The heavy black curtains were closed tight, stopping me from being able to see anything on the outside. I got up from the bed and walked over to the window, my fingers shaking as they gripped onto the thick fabric. I pulled open the curtains and felt my stomach drop to the floor, any sense of hope I had left inside of me shriveling up in an instant.

Peter snaked his arms around my waist from behind, resting the weight of his head against my shoulder. His breath was hot against my neck, and I could feel a smirk on his lips as he nuzzled into my flesh.

"Peter... where the hell are we?" I whispered, fear laced throughout my words.

"Our home, darling." He said smoothly, planting a small kiss against my neck, "I thought you'd like it here, away from it all... Isn't it beautiful?"

I tried to force the thick saliva down my throat, struggling to find my voice.

As I stared out the window in front of me, my eyes were met with a scene that looked straight off the cover of a pricey vacation pamphlet. We were in a cabin surrounded by a dense forest; towering pines packed so close together that you couldn't see more then ten feet into them. The only breaks in the treeline that I could make out were a driveway heading into the woods, and a small cobblestone footpath leading down to a river. There were a few garden boxes scattered around a gravel lot near the drive, all full of thriving vegetables that looked really well taken care of. In between two trees, I could also make out what looked like a hammock and firepit for a calming place to relax.