XXXVI

N'laisah Dior Olsen
Monroe, Louisiana

"Dee whatchu gettin?" I ask her.

We randomly decided to treat ourselves to sum IHop at 5pm.

"Uhh, shitt you know I gotta get them eggs." She examines the menu.

"They eggs nasty as thee fawk." I fake puke.

"You're a hater." She waves me off.

"I want bacon and like pancakes. Imma get the 222 and give you ma eggs." I decide.

"Imma get the high and rise." She sits down her menu on top of mine.

"So you started back working fa my bobble headed ass brotherrrr?" She gives me a goofy smile.

"Yesss and that's it. I just like the income." I shrug.

"Y'all always playing dog and roach." She shakes her head.

"Did you just call me a roach?" I frown.

"Nah I meant dog and cat.... Nawl nawl, cat and mouse." She snaps her fingers.

"How do you mess that up?" I mumble.

"So girl I quit my lil Footlocker job." She scratches her wig.

"Unh unhh, why?" I sip on my milkshake.

"So lemme tell you... A new girl worked there right? A fucking snowflakes at that." She pauses to take a drink of her Coke. "Mind you my boss is white too? That bitch would say slick stuff here and there about my customer service like she was my damn boss!"

"A white girl need to stay in a white girl place. Like y'all done did enough as is, leave us alone, tf." I shake my head.

"Exactly! So she kept lying to my boss about shit like I wasn't being friendly and I had an attitude to the customers. But that's how I get my money, by kissing they ass." She pats her wig.

"So she was lying and whatever to my boss. Old, fat, white dude by the way. And uhm, he called me to the back talking to me about friendliness and shit. Nigga I am friendly, the fuck?"

"I know, I seen you at work and you act like a completely different person." I nod.

"He had been calling me into his office for lectures like every week which was very much annoying but I let it slide cuz I got rent to pay. But the white girl that had only been working there a MONTH mind you, got a dollar raise yesterday. Best believe my black ass retaliated." She vents.

"What would you guys like?" The waiter comes up to us.

We give her our orders quickly so he can leave and we can get back to our discussion.

"How you retaliate?" I ask.

"Bust in his muthafuckin office like bitch why you give Sabrina clear glue stick ass a raise when I been working here 2 years and ain't got shit!" She scrunches her face up. "He was on sum bullshit so I quit, dafuq."

"And you deadass right fa dat." I swipe my hand under my chin.

My phone rings and I check the caller id which reads 'Mermaid 🧜🏾‍♀️'

"Who dat?" Dee leans her nosy ass head over.

I click the volume button so it stops ringing aloud.

"Ohhhhh wait is that the stripper from that one club we had went to?" She asks.

"Yup. We been taking and we fucked the other day." I shrug.

"Wait til Amari find out." She laughs.

"Are you gonna tell him?"